Forum home Tools and techniques

potting shed or greenhouse?

i've an average size estate garden, i've had mixed results the past three years with the greenhouse, i'm wondering if i might be well advised to get a potting shed/greenhouse combo. i'm sadly very disabled(no left limbs (thanks to the argentinians in 1982 falklands conflic)t. my 6x 4 house is very hard to get into' let alone work in! i do flowers and thats about it really, what do you guys think?

• GemmaJFGemmaJF Posts: 2,283
    Sounds good. I have a potting shed and no greenhouse and nowhere really to put a greenhouse, so often wish I had gone for a combo. I think if I had the choice again, I would prioritised a greenhouse.

I can pot plants on bench outside, and though the potting shed does come in useful for storing tools, no greenhouse means no growing some veg I would really like to.
  • thanks gem i appreciate your reply to me. i guess at the end of the day it will come down to cost and safety to use i measured a space but it'll mean removing a big shrub thats grown into a tree! then i should have a big enough south facing spot for it.
  • AllyblueeyesAllyblueeyes Posts: 285
    I’d go for a combo.  I’ve got a potting shed which I love.  It’s great for storage and potting on etc. but not much light.  I use it in conjunction with a 4-tier mini pvc greenhouse which holds all my seeds/cuttings etc.  In hindsight, a combo would have been perfect 😔 
  • BraidmanBraidman Posts: 122
    Andy
    That size of a greenhouse is much too small, heats up too much in summer ice cold in winter as it is unable to hold any heat it collects.
    I had an 8 x 6 that was it's problem as well as being too small for my needs, I got a 10 x 8 which is better at retaining heat, (but is still too small).

I do my potting and seed sowing in the greenhouse, wouldn't dream of getting a potting shed only to use it now and again!

As someone said, a girl cannot be too slim and have too much money, likewise a gardener cannot have a big enough greenhouse!

Cheers!
  • I’d go for a combo.  I’ve got a potting shed which I love.  It’s great for storage and potting on etc. but not much light.  I use it in conjunction with a 4-tier mini pvc greenhouse which holds all my seeds/cuttings etc.  In hindsight, a combo would have been perfect 😔 
    Braidman said:
    Andy
    That size of a greenhouse is much too small, heats up too much in summer ice cold in winter as it is unable to hold any heat it collects.
    I had an 8 x 6 that was it's problem as well as being too small for my needs, I got a 10 x 8 which is better at retaining heat, (but is still too small).

I do my potting and seed sowing in the greenhouse, wouldn't dream of getting a potting shed only to use it now and again!

As someone said, a girl cannot be too slim and have too much money, likewise a gardener cannot have a big enough greenhouse!

Cheers!
    GREAT HELP I MIGHT LOOK AT A POTTING SHED/GREENHOUSE AND FASTEN A PLEXIGLASS ROOF ON IT
  • Novice2020Novice2020 UKPosts: 26
    For those recommending a combination of potting shed with greenhouse, can you point me to some websites to use as examples. I'm pondering this question too.

• AllyblueeyesAllyblueeyes Posts: 285
    For those recommending a combination of potting shed with greenhouse, can you point me to some websites to use as examples. I'm pondering this question too.

@Novice2020 There are so many out there.  Google grow and store and combo.  This is the one I’d love .... I can but dream 🙄

• purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 3,303
    It looks nice but not much growing room. It could do with 3/4 of it being greenhouse, with a shed in the corner. Would be a much better space to turn around in and have growing space.