Forum home Garden design

Garden Layout and Shed Advise

Hi All,

I am looking to remodel the end of my garden to remove an old garage (too small for car!) and to add a parking area and shed.

I have the added challange that the garage is lower than the main garden (by 70cm approx) and I have an awful telephone pole!

below is my current thoughts, which would leave a +/-2.5ft path between the shed and parking (shed to be as close to pole as poss), but I plan to keep bins behind shed - to be out of sight and I put the bins out at back of house to no need to bring "up" the garden as such:

Keen to get thoughts / ideas / recommendations as the team here have made some great comments on other peoples design ideas :) I have a landscape / groundworker chap round this week to also help and quote options.

for the shed - I would like to store lawnmover, tools etc, small garden furniture set, so trying to get as big a shed as possible without over powering the plot.

thanks in advance.

• nick615nick615 Posts: 536
    I wouldn't attempt to challenge your design EXCEPT I'd be worried by the proximity of the shed to the pole?  If it's owned by the utility concerned, I believe they have the right to replace their poles at their discretion, for which you cannot deny them access.  The amount of disruption involved could well damage your shed.  Chat to them first?  They may agree to re-site it at next renewal to a more convenient spot away from the shed.
  • NewbiePlantAddictNewbiePlantAddict Posts: 17
    edited June 2020
    Hi - I have already been in touch with Openreach about pole access and requirements. the shed will not be blocking the pole and gives room to access, there is no "minimum" gap needed as such!

Pole relocation will is estimate in mid four figures, so keen to just have a smaller shed :)
  • BenCottoBenCotto RutlandPosts: 2,037
    I think you are being constrained by a design tool that does not allow curves and which does not have a consistent scale. The car parking area, for example, is 12’ wide and 21’ long but your design has the width greater than the depth. Is the table and chairs area big enough to accommodate a table and chairs and will just two chairs suffice? 

I think the design is just fine but I would abandon the computer and go back to some free hand sketches on graph paper. When your design looks good on paper mark it out on the ground and consider it from your upstairs window. The new design has a lawn much wider than it is long, the photo has a lawn that is quite long but narrow. 
  • NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen SpainPosts: 3,886
    I was about to say the same as Ben Cotto - you can’t really get a sense of the space unless you do a drawing to scale but you don’t need any fancy software to do that. Also you say the pole is 13ft from the back wall but it’s right up in the corner, so I’m not sure where your boundary is, is there a chunk missing from your drawing at the back?

If you like symmetry, by all means go for straight lines, but by curving the corners of the L shaped beds you create a little more interest and give yourself a little more planting room for the odd specimen tree or shrub. 

I assume you driving the car into the new garage from the back road, rather than over your garden 😆 so think about the route from the inner garage door to the back door of the house and place your path on the convenient route. That may suggest a different layout.