Forum home Wildlife gardening

Another dragonfly

micearguersmicearguers CambridgePosts: 363

Please make allowances for opening another thread; I felt this deserved its own pedestal. It's a second dragonfly in our pond. I cannot see the nymph skin, but it looks very fresh to me. I assume it emerged from the pond, or it may have emerged somewhere else and sought safety after its maiden flight as it's very windy currently. The shimmering on its wings is extraordinary.

• SkylarksSkylarks East MidlandsPosts: 221
    Wow, it is beautiful and well done for capturing it. 
  • FlyDragonFlyDragon Greater ManchesterPosts: 500
    Wow, gorgeous, never apologise for photos like that!
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 6,433
    Stunning!
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 31,008
    Beautiful @micearguers. Great to be in just the right place at the right time. Their wings are extraordinary aren't they?  :)

I can't get such good close ups with the camera I have, but it's more suitable for my main hobby. Can't have everything  ;)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• micearguersmicearguers CambridgePosts: 363
    @Fairygirl the wings were amazing. Elfin and gossamer. I think they were still hardening and that added to the shimmering effect. It was certainly a very lucky find - don't think dragonflies are such willing posers until the moment they give up the ghost again. My camera is just the one I have on the mobile phone, it kind of shines for medium-macro photography. It's not so great for capturing the overall feel of a garden.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 31,008
    My old camera was better for macro/closeups, but this one has a panoramic option which is far more useful to me. 
    They do seem to just dart around too much for getting a good pic though, so it's brilliant that you were there at the right moment. 

I remember being on the lower slopes of one of the hills in Glen Etive, and as you crossed the boggy ground, hundreds of them just lifted off. It would have made a good video, but I was too enthralled to even get the camera out. Old camera then too - and no video option on it  ;)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• furorfuror Posts: 5
    Fresh male southern hawker?
  • micearguersmicearguers CambridgePosts: 363
    @furor On twitter someone ventured a female Southern Hawker. I'd arrived at the Southern Hawker, that's a safe bet given the patterning and the habitat.