Forum home Wildlife gardening

What is this little bug on my lily

I noticed a few of those on my tree lily. They are smaller than 1cm, stick to lily leafs and don’t move. Seem to also have a crusty back a little bit like tiny tear drop shaped snails 

• Big Blue SkyBig Blue Sky Posts: 474
    Forgot to mention that the little “snail” doesn’t seem to be eating or otherwise damaging the plant. Just sticks to the leaf and does nothing. 
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 6,433
    I wondered if it might be something like a ladybird metamorphising. No idea - just pondering.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 15,940
    It’s the dreaded Lily Beetle off spring, destroy before it covers itself in its own excrement and you don’t fancy touching it.
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

Thank you @Lyn ! I have been so vigilant all the time and managed to keep my lilies almost bug-free. It didn’t even cross my mind that is how they start. 

@Fire Thank you for bumping up the thread I started getting worried it would sink too deep for anybody to see
    You could look underneath the leaves for the bright orange cluster of eggs. 

Lyn said:
    You could look underneath the leaves for the bright orange cluster of eggs. 
    Just went outside specially to check for the eggs. You were right again Lyn! 👍

Found and removed two clusters. Will keep checking  daily from now on. 
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 6,433
    @Lyn Is it a pre-lily beetle?

It certainly is @Fire. In a day or two it will look like a black gloopy blob, covered in it own  sh*t!   Rub the eggs off as soon as you see them, every one a potential Lily beetle.