Forum home Problem solving

Spent compost

I recently moved to north wales and inherited some old pots.  I've emptied and sieved the compost and now have 5 bags. My question is how best to reuse it as I do'n't want to just dump it

• LiriodendronLiriodendron Scariff, County Clare, IrelandPosts: 5,976
    edited 29 June
    Does your new house come with a garden?  Old compost is great as a soil improver.   :)  Sorry, meant to say "hello and welcome!" first...
    "The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 4,920
    I had a big heap of old compost to use and ended up using it as the base for a big herb bed. Lots of herbs seem to prefer poor soil so it's a good use for it if you're thinking of doing something similar.
  • TopbirdTopbird Posts: 5,570
    If you have borders I'd use it as a mulch. Welcome to the forum and good luck in your new home🙂
    Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down
  • josusa47josusa47 Posts: 3,149
    I hope you enjoy living in north Wales as much as I do - I moved here when I retired six years ago.  It's where I've wanted to be most of my life, and it doesn't disappoint.  Ond rhaid i chi trio dysgu Cymraeg!
  • Cstarr750Cstarr750 Posts: 2
    Love the area but its just so bl***y cold and windy
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 6,433
    I use some spent compost for planting seeds - though some people don't recommend it because of the possibility of passing on disease. But it's always worked for me. I also add old compost to new compost bins (with a bit of garden earth or manure or wood chips etc)  to speed up new compost processes - adding in the old microbes and funghi to  help things along.
  • ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 2,870
    I've used up all of mine, with some old manure added, repotting plants during the Covid spring season shortage!

• KiliKili Posts: 295
    I just use it again in the same pots. Tip it out mix it with FBB and reuse it in the pots again if you want to save some money instead of buying fresh.

'The power of accurate observation .... is commonly called cynicism by those that have not got it.

George Bernard Shaw'

• Butterfly66Butterfly66 BirminghamPosts: 310
    I use it in the ways already suggested. I also use old compost for my pots of tulips and narcissus. You need to feed them when they go over (if you want to reuse the bulbs) but they don’t need much goodness to grow and flower for your spring display
     If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.”—Marcus Tullius Cicero