Forum home Tools and techniques

Weed burners

What is best gas or electric weed burners

• Joy*Joy* Posts: 563
    I have a gas one which is used on the gravel. It burns out seedlings really well but the instructions are not to aim to burn off bigger weeds, but to scorch them. This is easier said than done as it is pretty fierce. It does eliminate all but very deep rooted specimens and also keeps block paving clear. Little and often is best in my experience.  I wouldn't risk using it in borders or near plants I didn't want to get rid of. I suspect that it also puts paid to seeds of common weeds too.. 
  • SkylarksSkylarks East MidlandsPosts: 275
    Can’t believe this is the first time I’ve heard of these! I popped into a garden centre and I couldn’t see any. I guess the GCs prefer to keep us in the dark about them and continue to make money from weed killer. I’ve just purchased an electric one online 🙂
  • PurpleRosePurpleRose North YorkshirePosts: 347
    I have an electric one. I use it on my block paving and also on weeds that are hard to get to. They are good for that but if you were do do general weeding with it, you would never get through it all.
  • GemmaJFGemmaJF Posts: 2,283
    edited June 2020
    I've an electric one, I find it very useful. It's the awkward thing routed in the cracks in the drive etc that it is best for. It's still quicker and more effective to hand weed a large area.

Complete misuse of it, but managed to use one to burn out about 40 medium sized conifer stumps last year. Very effective but expect to replace it with a new one after such abuse.  :)
  • HelixHelix 704m altitude...Posts: 631
    I use a gas gun as have large area of gravel and gravel paths.  Electric only ok for small areas.    I have to hand weed right along the edge of the border as would otherwise risk frying it.  As others have said works a treat if you use it little and often.
  • Joy*Joy* Posts: 563
    The gas variety is also handy for getting charcoal started but use with great care!