Forum home Fruit & veg

Tomato plants

My tomato plant leaves are curling up badly on a few of the plants, can you please advise me why?

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 31,008
    It's rarely a problem - although occasionally red spider mites can cause it.
    It's often just the foliage not taking up enough water - common at this stage because plants are often growing strongly and it's difficult for the top growth to be sustained well, especially if the conditions are hot and dry.
    If you have some photos it will help though. The icon above the posting window that looks like a mountain is the one for attaching photos.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Jo88Jo88 Posts: 2
    What can one do to elevate the problem? 
  • purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 2,830
    Its not really a problem @Jo88 the plant will continue to be productive in spite of this.
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 5,669
    Tomato leaf curl is often due to big temperature swings - hot days followed by cool nights. Draughts can also cause it as can irregular watering. 
    Aphids are another possibility, but the plants in my greenhouse closest to the door always have curly leaves, it doesn't affect them in any other way and I still get the same harvest as from the other plants.
    So long as you don't have aphids on the plants, there's nothing to worry about.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 31,008
    I thought @Jo88 meant could you put them up higher...
    I presume he/she meant alleviate  ;)

Presumably @pauline.fama has resolved the problem anyway.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Jo88Jo88 Posts: 2

Hi Pete, thank you for your advice regarding the discoloration on the tomato plants leaves, I have had a careful look at the plants no evidence of any insects, but like you the plants are near the green house door!  So all is well thank you.

Apologies for the spelling error - it was late at night when I posted the question.

@Jo88    

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 5,669
    Good luck with them Jo and let us know if you have any other questions about them
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.