Forum home Problem solving

emdejey

Why are my sweet pea leaves curling? Can anything be done about it? Any advice would be gratefully received.

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 31,008
    Have you got a bigger pic of the whole plant? How are you growing them and in what conditions?
    They often get a bit of leaf miner damage, but healthy plants shrug it off.
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• emdejeyemdejey Posts: 3
    Thanks Fairygirl. This is the rest of the plant. They are growing outside in a bit of rough ground. From what you say, I will just have to keep my fingers crossed and hope and it will shrug it off.
    Sweet peas need a lot of food and water to do well. If the ground's poor they won't tend to do very well, and will succumb to pests and diseases more easily.
    I use a slow release food in mine, and they get extra feeds of tomato food. 

If you grow them in a row for cutting, ideally a good few inches of well rotted manure and topped up with good compost, at the bottom of the trench, is the way to get them going.  

• BenCottoBenCotto RutlandPosts: 1,314
    Are they in biodegradeable tubes? They don’t look like they’re degrading much and so the roots might be confined.
    I wondered if they were those metal rings to keep slugs away @BenCotto

Not that they do any good  :D

• emdejeyemdejey Posts: 3
    Yes they are copper rings, they do seem to protect from slugs, the wire netting is to protect from rabbits. Also got a problem with moles, who have a run under the sweetpeas.