Forum home Fruit & veg

Has anyone grown Tomato Red Alert?

Hi all!
I always grow cherry tomatoes, as in NI and short growing season.
Sowed Red Alert for first time.
The tomatoes are HUGE for a so-called cherry. 5 cm high so far and 30g.
How big are these monsters going to grow? No sign Of them stopping or ripening.
Given that it's 7 weeks since first pea-sized Tom, there's no way I'm going to get ripened fruit from any current flowers.
Seriously considering just ripping the plants out and pretending this year didn't happen. Less depressing than just cutting all the flowers off and ripening what's already there.
Any advice from anyone that's grown these beasts would be appreciated!

• Singing GardenerSinging Gardener EssexPosts: 1,000
    I'm not growing Red Alert this year but have grown it in previous years and the tomatoes were always small and ripened early. Are you sure yours are red alert?

My daughter's growing them this year - I'll ask her whar hers are like.
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 6,318
    I'm growing them, but the fruits are only just starting to form. I'll let you know in a while  :)
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 61,384
    I’ve grown Red Alert although not this year. As I recall they were much the same size as Sungold. 

Not sure why you’re thinking of ripping out the plants ... my outdoor toms have only just started fruiting and I expect them to keep going well into September. 

The one you’re holding has turned that pale green that indicates ripening is happening. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• I'm not growing Red Alert this year but have grown it in previous years and the tomatoes were always small and ripened early. Are you sure yours are red alert?

My daughter's growing them this year - I'll ask her whar hers are like.
    Definitely Red Alert - or at least that's what they were sold as :D
  • SkandiSkandi Northern DenmarkPosts: 816
    You've got months left yet and ripening will speed up as the temperature increases. July and August really help tomatoes. mine have only just started to flower, we're only 4 weeks past last frost here!