Forum home The potting shed

Runner bean emergo.

Why are the flowers dropping off and not setting pods ?

• Papi JoPapi Jo Brittany, France Posts: 2,602
    Why, oh why?
    You are invited to a virtual visit of my garden (in English or in French).
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 61,260
    edited 28 June
    Hello and welcome @mdearman :)

Make sure they're really damp at the roots ... mist/spray the flowers.  I take it there are some bees around?
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 16,818
    Mine are being particularly awkward this year too. Not one has set yet. In a sunny spot, well watered, misted (or rained on), chap down the road keeps bees, bumble bees galore etc etc.

Just gardening for you, I suppose. 😕
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • nick615nick615 Posts: 249
    I'll second what Dove says.  It's a bit late to enquire about how you prepared for them pre-sowing but it's always important to keep a household trigger spray in the shed, fill it with water, and spray the flowers regularly to help them set.
  • KT53KT53 Posts: 4,150
    Birds also love the flowers.  If you can hang anything shiny which will blow in the wind, on the bean sticks it will deter them.
  • steephillsteephill Posts: 1,217
    Bees have been getting sneaky with runner bean flowers. They are biting through the bottom of the flowers to get at the nectar rather than doing their pollination job.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 61,260
    This year I'm growing the Runner x French beans 'Moonlight' as they don't require intervention from bees in order to set seed ... I've grown them before and the flavour is the same as runners, lovely long smooth beans with no 'string' .   Moonlight is a white flowered variety ... I've grown the red flowered variety Firestorm previously and that was a very tasty bean.  https://www.dtbrownseeds.co.uk/Peas-Beans/Runner-Bean-Seed_2/Self-Pollinating-Runner-Bean-Collection.html

I did think that perhaps Firestorm  didn't crop for as long as my previous go to Runner bean, Wisley Magic, but that may have been down to us being away for a week and the neighbour not picking as rigorously as I would've done.  If I find this year that Moonlight doesn't crop for as long as I'd wish, I might do two successional sowings next year.  
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh