Forum home Wildlife gardening

wasps in a plant pot

raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 3,985
I need to repot a bay tree, poor thing is starving. OH and I were just in that tricky stage of wrestling with the unwieldy tree (him) and the pot (me) when we suddenly were surrounded by angry wasps and had to beat a hasty retreat. They seem to be nesting in the pot, presumably under the tree. 

So now what? I don't have any wish to kill the wasps, but I don't want to lose the tree and I don't really want a wasp nest on my patio where the tree lives, tbh. The tree and pot are currently abandoned with the tree still mostly in the pot lying on its side, waiting for the wasps to calm down again. Is my only option to wait until winter and hope the tree survives that long?
“This isn't life in the fast lane, it's life in the oncoming traffic.”
― Terry Pratchett

• ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 3,168
    The wasp nest can't be all that big if it is under the tree, so if you make it uncomfortable for them they may cut their losses and start again elsewhere. If you can safely stand the tree upright, then water it thoroughly late in the day, when it is almost dark, and repeat  water a day or two later they may decide it is the wrong place after all. Perhaps tie a rope to the top of the tree so you can jiggle it from a distance so you can see if there is any reaction before you move in closer!
  • raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 3,985
    Perhaps tie a rope to the top of the tree so you can jiggle it from a distance so you can see if there is any reaction before you move in closer!
     :) there's a thought. I'll try being a nasty neighbour and see if they chose to move out 
    “This isn't life in the fast lane, it's life in the oncoming traffic.”
    ― Terry Pratchett
  • B3B3 Posts: 15,485
    Would it help to do your nefarious acts after dark?. Will they be asleep?
    In London. Keen but lazy.