Forum home Problem solving

Can anyone identify this plant?

emilyjbrookes83emilyjbrookes83 GloucesterPosts: 5
Hi All, 

can anyone identify this plant? it's taking over the flowerbed (well not quite but it is getting in the way of what I think is an olive tree. (Apologies, I'm a bit of a novice gardener).

I am tempted to take it out and give it to someone, and plant something smaller but prettier in its place. Something tall and colourful would be nice, feel free to give me any suggestions of something I can plant now. Alternatively, can I cut the leaves back? 

Many thanks

• B3B3 Posts: 13,202
    edited 28 June
    Hemerocallis. Day lily. They get very large and when they do, they stop flowering.
    It will flower very soon. Wait and see what youd like to do with it
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • emilyjbrookes83emilyjbrookes83 GloucesterPosts: 5
    Hey, ah great thank you, would you get rid? or can I cut it back?
     dug out a huge one last week. A lot of effort, but I dont regret it. I believe you can control them by dividing them.It will certainly get too big for that spot. 
    any suggestions for what could go in its place?
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 20,429
    Leaves are the plant's food factory so not a good idea to cut them back.  I suggest you wait and see what the flowers are like and then decide whether to keep it or give it away.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
    Someone will come along with some good suggestions. What colours/ type of plants do you like? What direction does the bed face?
  • Daylilies are excellent garden plants, so i don't know why anyone would want to get rid of it, without even seeing it in flower! But it does need to be moved to give it more space once it has finished flowering.
    ok if I don't get rid of it, can I cut it back? if so, how?
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 31,008
    You can cut it back if you wish - right to the ankles, but there's not a lot of point in that unless you just want to take it out altogether. It'll grow back though.  :)

There are plenty of other plants which would suit the space, depending on what you like too.
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• herbaceousherbaceous E. BerksPosts: 1,688
    If it is no good in that place emilyjbrookes83 dig it out.  I have a border in the front with about 6" of soil full of day lilies which looks great but I wouldn't put them anywhere else as they just take over.  I do nothing to them, their tubers sit on the soil and they bake in the sun all summer long which they love, so they are ideal for me.

If you cut them back you won't get any flowers and will just have shaggy leaves.
    Haven't been anywhere for over three months but I'm here and I'm mostly happy