Forum home Fruit & veg

Chilli Plant Is Producing Only Two Chillis.

Hi Everyone,

I'm a very new gardener and only started due to lockdown, although it's been a revelation. Who knew being outside was so therapeutic?!

My partner and I have been growing a few types of herbs and vegetables with some success. We have been growing a chilli plant for a few months but I am a bit concerned about it. As you can see from the pictures, it is growing two chillis, both on the same branch of the plant. Given the size of those chillis, I would have expected to see others around the plant at varying stages of development but, alas, there are none. The only other notable items on the plant are the white flowers which I believe appear 'pre-chilli' (<-phrase is patent pending). These look to be dying off now, rather than producing any more chillis.

I would be grateful if anyone can help us shed some light on this. Is it normal? Does this mean the plant won't produce any more?

Thanks in advance.

• tuikowhai34tuikowhai34 Béziers, Herault, FrancePosts: 327
    Hello.  Your plant looks healthy.  Give your plant time.  Be patient.  The flowers are spent probably because they are forming fruit.  (We cannot all look good in the morning!!)  If not, then you will have two fine chillies.  Just wait - feed it, water it and sit back.  Good luck.  Keep us posted.
    Tui
    A good hoeing is worth two waterings.

• tommcmastertommcmaster Posts: 4
    Hi @tuikowhai34,

That's great. Thanks for your reply. It's comforting to know the plant appears healthy and that's a lesson learned regarding spent flowers. We will keep up what we were doing and see what happens in a few weeks.

Thanks again.
    I live in the Sth of France and your chilli are far in advance of mine (outside in the garden).  They are healthy and then one day last week, one of them just shrivelled up and died!  And then there were 9!!  With the excess fruit, I grill them on the BBQ, deseed them, flatten them and freeze them for a winter treat!  Enjoy your gardening.

PS  The pot looks rather small.  Next year, put them in a bigger container and the roots need to breathe.

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 5,669
    Can pollinators get in to pollinate the flowers?
    Un-pollinated flowers turn yellow then the flower and stem drop off.
    Pollinated flowers leave behind the stem and then the chili begins to form.
    You can help pollination by gently tapping the stem with your fingers or gently brush the flowers with a little paint brush.
    Now that your plant has fruit it'll need a tomato fertilizer about every 7-10 days and plenty of sun.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 20,429
    Your chilli plant does look healthy but could do with a bigger pot now and also, if you can, put it outside where pollinating insects can get to it more easily.  As long as you remember to water it regularly and feed it occasionally it will be fine outside all summer and can then be brought in and kept going to grow more chillies but all the flowers in the world won't produce chillies if they are not pollinated.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • SkandiSkandi Northern DenmarkPosts: 816
    A very nice Jalapeno you have there, it will produce a mass of fruit but I feel it is not getting pollinated, if you follow Pete's instructions there. Personally I would not put it outside as  chili's love heat and even in a greenhouse I can't give them enough where I am.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 20,429
    A sheltered, sunny spot should be fine, especially if there's another heatwave.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • tommcmastertommcmaster Posts: 4
    Thanks for everyone's comments. Much appreciated.

We sit the plant outside on nicer days. We live on the West coast of Scotland though so it's often very windy or fairly damp. We keep it watered regularly but will certainly take on the advice around pollination and feeding with tomato feed.

The pot is an interesting one. We're going to get a bigger pot today but we were told that a smaller pot is very good for larger chilli plants as the constrained environment promotes growth in that type of plant. As beginners, we took that on good faith but it sounds like it's maybe not quite correct.

In any case, thanks again for your advice. 
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 5,669
    I grow peppers in 10L pots and chili in 5L (small thai type) or 10L for my Jalapenos
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.