Forum home Garden design

Comments on design

• LatimerLatimer Latimer, BuckinghamshirePosts: 514
    edited July 2020
    Hi @Bee witched

I've actually already filled the large bed with perennials but at a cost l don't want to repeat! I'll be looking to divide these in the spring next year to start filling out other areas. I'm also going to raid my parents garden for cuttings!

As for trees and shrubs, I'm glad I am thinking on the right lines. It's so hard as every time I go outside I have new ideas for each area!
  • @London_to_Latimer

I am starting off too, and I have found the reduced plant sections always worth a look. I got a lovely salvia at bnq for £2, along with another perennial which the bees love but I cant remember the name! my local garden center also has a "bargain bench" I always check. We also have a local nursery which is great value and super helpful - be worth trying to see if you have any local hidden gems of plant sources?
    @NewbiePlantAddict absolutely, first place I go in my local GC. Unfortunately, the quality of their full price plants is not great so the bargain stuff is generally dry as a bone!!

I'm also wary about buying plants just for the price, especially not knowing where they might grow or how well in my garden. I'm more inclined to spend more on a plant that will do well in the conditions I have. I made that mistake when I got seduced by a rhododendron while queuing outside Aldi, then realising when I got home that it needed acid soil and wasn't suitable for growing in a container!! 🙈
  • SuesynSuesyn South Somerset Posts: 341
    If you see a plant you like at a bargain price you could always Google it before making a decision, that way you will know if it will work in your garden. (that actually sounds as if I would know how to do that!) 
    @Suesyn oh I definitely do that too. By the time I've done my research the GC is closed! 🤣
  • WoostieWoostie Posts: 34
    @London_to_Latimer, I've been getting a lot of emails recently from Thomson & Morgan with offers such as 10 perennials for £18 so £1.80 a plant obviously. I think the catch is that you don't know what type you will get but it might interest you.  They are only plug plants so again patience will be required ;) 
    @Woostie that's a top tip, I'll take a look at what's there!
  • LoxleyLoxley Posts: 3,114
    I'm looking at getting something like Malus 'Evereste' for my plot. One thing I would say about my multistem Amelanchier, it looks choked by the tall perennials around it. I think a clear stem tree might work better, or clipped yew pillars a-la Tom Stuart Smith.
  • LoxleyLoxley Posts: 3,114
    All looking terrific by the way... don't worry you'll soon have more perennials than you know what to do with... especially the Verbena! ;)
    Thanks @WillDB. Interesting thoughts about the Amelanchier, I really like the look of multi stem trees, would be silly to swamp it. Do you have any links to images of the yew trees you're taking about?