Forum home The potting shed

advice please

2»

• jnttejntte Posts: 9
    Thank you so much for your suggestions, Yes I also thought about a more spiky leaf plant, because I have agapanthus and crocosmia further down the border and they break up the more rounded plants. I'm keeping with the theme of yellow, blue and orange.
    Further down the border I have another Alchemila Mollis and a Cranesbill - more purple in colour than the one in the picture, doing very well. And all out and looking very lovely! Gardening is a joy!!
    I will look up the plants you suggested and thank you for your help.
    Oh, and I live in South Wales.
    Dear Obelixx,
    I have chosen on your advice Hemerocallis dumortieri. This plant is on sale at Beth Shatto's website, so will order near to autumn when it is in stock. I will look forward to see it bloom next year, by the side of my blue cranesbill geranium, and think of it as my ray of sunshine - Obelixx plant.
    Thank you again,
    Best wishes,
    Jntte

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 31,605
    For the sunniest bits, some of the daisy -type plants would also give verticals. Rudbeckias and Heleniums. They come in yellows and oranges, and you'd get them flowering from around now onwards depending on variety. Readily available too. 
    You could try some of the hardier Salvias and Veronicas too. Blues. Salvias don't always survive over winter here, but the common one, 'caradonna', is pretty decent, and tucked against the wall would be fine for you. 
    You could also try yarrows - Achillea. There are good yellows and oranges of those. 
    Those will all give height, and the lower growing plants will provide support for them if they lean a bit for more sun.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• amancalledgeorgeamancalledgeorge South LondonPosts: 1,208
    I wholeheartedly recommend Achillea Terracotta... it's a beautiful orange colour that would work well there. But lots of yellow ones like Credo and Cloth of Gold. 

To Plant a Garden is to Believe in Tomorrow
    I planted a small one of those last year @amancalledgeorge. It's just getting going now, but should be good next year. Had it in a previous garden many years ago.  :)
    I have it in with some of the aforementioned Heleniums, and a bronzy grass. Some orangey crocosmia behind it as well.  :)

• amancalledgeorgeamancalledgeorge South LondonPosts: 1,208
    I've only planted a couple this spring @Fairygirl and they've been really lovely. They'll have some echinacea blooms joining them soon alongside the hemerocallis pink damask...went a bit wild with the colouring box 😂
    To Plant a Garden is to Believe in Tomorrow
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 21,133
    I like the coppery achilleas but not the yellows.  Helebiums would certainly extend the flowering season.

Hope that hemerocallis does well for you @jntte
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
    I have a 'hot' border under my bedroom window, full of clashing hot pinks, deep reds and oranges, from the species tulips through to the heleniums etc.
    Strong pinky red sweet peas as well  :)

You could add some early clematis in that bed too @jntte. The ones which prefer drier conditions like alpina, koreanas and macropetalas. Once established and trained along the wall, they need very little work.
    Take a look at Taylor's Clematis, Thorncroft, and Hawthornes for ideas.  :)

Thank you so much Obelixx, amancalledgeorge and Fairygirl.  I will look up your suggestions to use in my border, in place of a fern I planted in the wrong place further down the border and plant one of the plants suggested. Next year, achieved with your help the border will be a lovely display!
    Have I have to say though, my agapanthus and crocosmia are looking really lovely, I got it right here!
    Thank you,
    Kind regards,
    Jntte