Forum home The potting shed

advice please

Please can anyone give me advice. I have a narrow border which is in shade in the morning and sun in the afternoon. The sun is more direct towards the center of the border.  I planted three cream edged hostas, next to the hostas, three alchemila mollis and next cranesbill blue geranium. All three look lovely together and have grown into clumps that fill each section.  Please can anyone suggest what flower to plant next to a cranesbill blue geranium, which has more direct sun than where the first three plants are - the hostas, alchemila and geranium.
Thank you.
Jntte

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 20,356
    A photo would help, plus an idea of whereabouts you are, soil type and the general style of your garden.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • jnttejntte Posts: 9
    Thank you for your reply. I just have one border about4ft wide and 50ft long. I'm not sure what type of soil, but further down the border I have planted blue agapanthus and orange crocosmia and like the first three plants are all doing really well.
    I have thought about planting rebecca, or a euphorbia, but perhaps euphorbia would be too late flowering to coincide with the blue geranium and perhaps too tall?
    Sorry I don't have a photograph.
    Take one and post one?
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
    OK, I'll try to take a photo.

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 30,925
    edited 28 June
    Three Alchemilla mollis will soon become three hundred, so be aware of that  ;)

As @Obelixx says - more info about what you like, the site itself etc, will help with suggestions. Climbers can also be incorporated if the border is along a fence or wall.
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

That's all looking good but can we see the bit you want to fill?  And also, whereabouts are you?

Are there any colours you particularly like or dislike?   As everything you have is kind of rounded and hummocky in shape I'd maybe go for something with narrower, spiky leaves and taller stems of flowers - hemerocallis comes in a wide range of colours i the yellow, orange, red spectrum now a well as creams and dusky pinks so you could get one to contrast with your geranium.  Penstemon is another possibility with lots of colours available in the white, pink, blue, purple spectrum.

If your garden is sheltered, gaura is a shrubby plant that has stems of flowers as delicate as butterfly wings.  Colours from white thru pink to red.  Cut it back every spring and protect the crown over winter to stop it freezing.
    This is my narrow border, in shade in the morning, and dappled sun in the afternoon, these plants like it here, I am very pleased with the combination, but I have a gap next to the blue cranesbill geranium. The sun in the afternoon is also brighter from the cranesbill down the border. I have planted in sections, because the border is so narrow, but it looks very lovely. So please can anyone suggest what to plant next to the Cranesbill geranium.
    Further down the border I have planted blue agapanthus and orange crocosmia and they are doing well in the bright afternoon sunshine.
    Thank you,
    Jntte
    See my post above.