Forum home Problem solving

Bare climbing hydrangea

Hi does anyone know why my climbing hydrangea would look like this? Previous years it’s been beautiful and lush but this year it’s just been like this for about 8 weeks, I’ve not done anything different from previous years, and I have fed it, my hydrangea shrub plant also looks half dead like this  :| TIA x 

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 47,122
    If it's been growing in that wee pot, it's died. 
    They need to be in the ground. They aren't suitable for pot cultivation, even if the pot is enormous, which that isn't. 
    All hydrangeas need room for their root run, and lots of moisture. If they don't have that, they won't survive. None of them will really thrive in a pot. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• rafwoodrafwood Posts: 23
    Thanks, It’s lasted quite a few years though In that pot and I was told at the nursery that the pot would be fine for it, there’s growth on it so I’m not sure whether it is actually dead but just seems to be at a standstill  :/
  • amancalledgeorgeamancalledgeorge South LondonPosts: 2,306
    The flamingos did it 😉 sad to see it in that state but wish labels on plants clearly stated that they become very large plants that need moisture levels and growing space a pot can't provide. But we live and learn. There are miniature varieties like little lime that fair very well in pots, but they need consistent watering. 
    To Plant a Garden is to Believe in Tomorrow
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 47,122
    They cover house walls. They can't do that successfully in a small pot. They can last for a year or two, but then they'll decline if they don't have suitable growing conditions. They prefer a shadier spot too, so if it doesn't have that, it'll affect growth.

They also need a hefty medium to grow in, and that needs attention every year - some new soil added, and fed and watered well. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

Ok thank you, it’s a constant learning game this gardening malarkey! Might plant it out in my dads garden and hope we can revive it  :#
  • AnniDAnniD South West UKPosts: 10,349
    You could try the bark test - try gently scratching the stems with a fingernail. If it's green underneath there's still hope, if brown, then it's had it.
    If it is still alive, try and plant it out in your dad's garden ASAP and bear in mind that it will be quite a shock for the plant. Cut it back to around 12 to 18 inches just above a leaf joint and ask your dad to keep a close eye on it when it comes to feeding and watering  :)
    The stems are definitely green underneath, but yes I’ll do that as soon as I can!