Forum home Wildlife gardening

Does anyone else like starlings?

• SkandiSkandi Northern DenmarkPosts: 1,005
    I loath blackbirds, purely because they eat every berry before it gets a chance to ripen, I don't mind them in spring or winter when they are hopping around on the lawn murdering worms. I don't mind Jackdaws and I really like swifts even though I can't really use my outside freezer right now as they have set up a nest right next to it, and I feel bad disturbing her. They are lovely to watch skimming over the barley, even better when I think about how many flies they eat!
  • strelitzia32strelitzia32 Posts: 767
    We have starlings nesting in the roof every year, they turn up in Feb and usually off by early May. They sit on the roof line and shout if we open the windows. Every year we can hear the chicks in the roof getting louder each week. And one of them has worked out how to get in the house whenever he wants, no idea how...

• PyraPyra Central Scotland Posts: 139
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who likes the little buggers! :D 

@Fairygirl I'm with you with the seagulls. @josusa47 that amuses me too, they're so funny, you'd think the fledglings never get fed! We have 4 or 5 nesting pairs who have taught all their young that our birdfeeders are good. So now I have to keep feeding them. 

@AnniD that Scruffy is gorgeous!! 
  • a1154a1154 Posts: 821
    I don’t recall ever having starlings here (south scotland) before last year when we did have 1 family. This year I have had a nest in my garage roof and one in my living room wood burner chimney.
    The ones in the roof, it’s hard to describe, but the birds are too big to fly directly into the nest. They had to land on the roof and then hop or scramble up to it. This was quite funny as they got it wrong lots of times, and slipped down, lots of squawking and flapping. 
    The youngsters in the chimney fell down in 5 times. 4 were successfully rescued (sorry number 3) and they don’t half make a racket when you grab them wearing rubber gloves and release them at the door. They have been noisy, messy and entertaining. 

• PyraPyra Central Scotland Posts: 139
    Since it's raining, they're all out on my lawn this morning. I counted about 40 over the grass, the trees and the fences. 
    They may be in decline nationally. But not round here. 

• HotwaxHotwax Posts: 51
    We rarely get starlings here any more. I love the scruffy blackbird. Here's a photo of TR (tailless robin). Don’t know how he lost his tail, but he seems to manage ok without one.
  • AllyblueeyesAllyblueeyes Posts: 297
    AnniD said:
    Pigeons for me. With the hot weather we have had the bedroom windows open, and they start that "Me knee hurts Betty" business as soon as it gets light. (Having said that, l just can't hear "Me knee hurts Betty" no matter how hard l try).
    Two of them brought their offspring to sit on the pergola the other morning. 
    "See those windows Junior ? Sit here and make a racket as soon as it gets light. Then fly down to that birdbath and fill it full of scum (and worse) until you bung up the solar fountain. Job done".

Starlings used to drive my nan mad. She'd be up and down banging on the front room window and they'd take no notice whatsoever. Ironically they were probably doing her a favour by eating the leatherjackets.

Blackbirds on the other hand, love 'em. This is Scruff.  What a character. 

What a beauty @AnniD 😍
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 35,520
    A little flock of starlings were having a bath in the puddles on the golf course when I was out for a walk earlier.  :)
    They can be a messy, squawking nuisance though. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• AnniDAnniD Posts: 7,327
    edited June 2020
    @Allyblueeyes , He certainly is ! He would sit on the window box outside the kitchen window looking in at me, and then move to the back door handle to make sure l had suet pellets in my hand before I was allowed out.
    He hasn't been around for a day or two,  l hope he is alright. 
  • LiriodendronLiriodendron Scariff, County Clare, IrelandPosts: 6,632
    edited June 2020
    Yes, love starlings.   :)  We very rarely saw them in our last garden in Yorkshire but now they nest in our hedge - one nest full has just fledged, with 5 young bumbling about, yelling for food and chasing off Mr Spotty, who is I think an orphaned young starling with a lot of white feathers on his front.  He was king of the squirrel-proof fat cake feeder until this morning... now he's searching for lawn grubs.

I love the way the adults sit on a branch jabbering away while I weed underneath.  Such a joyful sound.   :)
    "The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore