Forum home Wildlife gardening

(very) Small pond help please!

2»

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 35,520
    edited June 2020
    Yes - they'll be fine too  :)
    I also have Hellebores beside mine. Ideal if there's a bit of shade. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• micearguersmicearguers CambridgePosts: 466
    A bit late with commenting, but my pond has 20-ish cm deep vertical sides bordering the first shelf, which is is about 15-20cm submerged. The plant pots and planting on this shelf (in just two places, about a foot long each) reach up to the side of the pond, and this is what the critters use to go in and out, although if the water level is high they can escape in other spots too. The pond has a lot of frogs, newts, insects and wild life. There are no hard rules, and more than one way to go about it. Adjacent planting is important I think to give wildlife cover from animals, especially (but not only) cats. I opted for vertical sides in order to cope better with evaporation in our generally dry and hot summers.
  • FlyDragonFlyDragon Greater ManchesterPosts: 630
    Thanks @micearguers, luckily I don't get cats in the garden, thanks to the doddery old dog and the A road behind.  Good to hear the wildlife has coped fine with the steeper sides in yours, do you have a picture by any chance?
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 7,654
    It's a good tub to choose. I surrounded my micropond (about the same size) with logs (higgledy piggledy) which make for good places to hide. I also put some very large shells about and some overhanging plants.
  • micearguersmicearguers CambridgePosts: 466
    edited June 2020
    @FlyDragon here are a few pictures. It looks initially completely forbidding to wildlife, yet the pond and garden have an abundance of frogs and newts. This is from right at the start:

Next again just after it was made. The pond edge is slightly proud of its surroundings, as it sits at the bottom of a slope and the old pond before this one suffered a lot from soil and nutrient run-off and hence algae blooms and blanket weed.

I don't have a good picture of its current state, but this gives an impression. The pond has actually become quite a hidden feature now. There is a big bunch of Lythrum salicaria, water cress and water lilies, with an acer reaching across.

The pictures I showed earlier with the dragonfly are from the same pond. To my mind there are a lot more possibilities than the standard template usually advised.

Edit: another picture showing it's pretty hidden now. The bench from the second picture is just about visible still.

• FlyDragonFlyDragon Greater ManchesterPosts: 630
    Thanks, it looks great.  Mine will have to be slightly proud of the ground too so the doddery old nearly blind dog doesn't fall in the first time he goes out!  Good to know it doesn't deter the wildlife.