Forum home Wildlife gardening

Clover on lawn

PyraPyra Central Scotland Posts: 139
So I have a massive patch of white clover that covers my lawn. 

Bees love it. It's covered in them. There's other stuff. But it's mostly white clover.

I also have this...decking board thing the previous owners had. For some reason.

We haven't ripped it up yet as we didn't want an exposed patch of just dirt. It is going eventually. And I'm starting to think dirt looks better than that. 

My question is, how long before the clover spreads over the whole lawn? Can I help it in any way? I've found white clover seeds online for a very reasonable price. Can I sow them into the dirt if I lift the boards? 

The lawn is very poor quality. It was water logged all winter and is patchy. I think that might help wildflowers. Am I right? 

Thanks in advance for any help. And no, in cae anyone is wondering, I haven't cut the grass! 😂

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 22,803
    If your raise the blades on your mower to the highest level possible and only mow every 3 weeks the clover will spread by itself.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • josusa47josusa47 Posts: 3,532
    And, if it's anything like mine, it will also spread into and through your borders!
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 7,374
    It looks lovely. I imagine clover will cover over your exposed patch fairly fast. You could add some extra soil and add clover seed + watering.
  • PyraPyra Central Scotland Posts: 139
    Thanks! @Obelixx I don't actually have a lawnmower (lived in a flat for 10 years so no lawn!) will it still spread if I don't cut it? I was just going to get my FIL or someone else to do it after lockdown. @Fire I'll order the seeds and see what happens. I still don't know why it's there, it serves no purpose other than gathering weeds. 
  • Joy*Joy* Posts: 563
    My dad preferred clover in the lawn because it didn't go brown when the weather was hot and dry. (Watering the lawn wasn't possible because it was too far away from a source of water). As a child, all my friends loved to play at my house because it was soft and cool to sit on. Dad never shaved it off and eventually there was very little grass because the clover took over.