Forum home Fruit & veg

Yellowing on potatoes

Richard.jones89Richard.jones89 Posts: 59
edited June 2020 in Fruit & veg
Is anyone able to explain this yellowing on my potato plants please? Is this wilt or is it simply yellowing due to being ready to harvest soon (planted around mid-April but not flowered yet)? 

It was nice & green yesterday morning, then late afternoon I noticed it was fairly droopy in the leaves, so gave it a decent watering - is this linked in any way? 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,312
    edited June 2020
    Has it had any fertiliser ... it could be lack of nutrients in what is quite a small
    pot. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Typically two-weekly, yes.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,312
    edited June 2020
    It might be that they’re ready to harvest then ... some newer varieties are quite reluctant to flower. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• GemmaJFGemmaJF Posts: 2,286
    I found out this year some varieties particularly first earlies don't flower. There was a thread discussing it the other week. I grew Swift and they did not flower at all, I was getting suspicious because the second earlies and main crop were in flower. I dug one up and had a lovely haul of tatties.

So I think I would be tempted to have a dig in the pot and see what is there.
  • Richard.jones89Richard.jones89 Posts: 59
    edited June 2020
    GemmaJF said:
    I found out this year some varieties particularly first earlies don't flower. There was a thread discussing it the other week. I grew Swift and they did not flower at all, I was getting suspicious because the second earlies and main crop were in flower. I dug one up and had a lovely haul of tatties.

So I think I would be tempted to have a dig in the pot and see what is there.
    Just done a bit of digging and seem to have quite a few smaller golf-ball sized ones so far, though I didn't dig fully down but I could feel there were plenty more further down - all looked normal pale potato colour, no funny smells etc.

This is my first year growing potatoes so I honestly don't know what to expect, but from reading up these seem like the right size for first earlies? Ideally wanting to leave them as main crop as they're Maris Piper, so just carry on as is & keep an eye on them? 
  • PlashingPlashing Posts: 293
    I grew rocket first early potato which I have done over several years and they have always  flowered until this year,I am wondering if it could have been such a dry spring and cold nights, we had a frost that caught the leaves and set them back a bit,they are alright now cropping well but no flower,I have never known it before with rocket potatoes.
  • Is anyone able to explain this yellowing on my potato plants please? Is this wilt or is it simply yellowing due to being ready to harvest soon (planted around mid-April but not flowered yet)? 

It was nice & green yesterday morning, then late afternoon I noticed it was fairly droopy in the leaves, so gave it a decent watering - is this linked in any way? 

In my opinion it's ready to harvest, mine had the same yellowing and behold! I have 8 scrumptious spuds