Forum home Garden design

Seat Ideas

Have been given an old stone hearth that we would like to turn into a seat. Does anyone have any ideas with regards to buying separate uprights or making aba wildlife base? Thank you

• josusa47josusa47 Posts: 3,532
    Could you post a picture of it?  I'm sure that will bring suggestions flowing.
  • Susan463Susan463 Posts: 16

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 6,527
    Not sure how feasible it would be to get an old railway sleeper and cut into 3 or 4 lengths to provide support underneath would keep the rustic look.
    I briefly had the idea of infilling between the supports with bamboo canes for a bee hotel - then I realized they'd be a downside..
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 6,876
    It looks heavy enough just to be supported on two thick tree trunks each end (try a wanted post on Freecycle). You could then plant ferns underneath to create a wildlife habitat.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 24,333
    We recycled marble slabs that made up a fireplace in our former home in Belgium.  The base was layers of wine bottles which, being round, were extremely strong and left holes that sheltered all sorts of spiders and other stuff.   No fixing needed other than a levelled base of hardcore and two sides to keep them in place.

You could do something similar by layering up small logs sawn from branches with some longer ones fixed into the ground vertically to hold them in place or even two chunks of tree trunk if you  have some.  Otherwise, some pieces of rock, slate, stone to hold smaller bits of wood and stones in place to provide an insect hotel.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw