Forum home Fruit & veg

Fleece for blueberries

Hi all, 

I've bought a couple of blueberry bushes which I've put in 50cm pots. I live in Cumbria. Can anyone advise me about what GSM of fleece I need and when I'll want to use it?

Many thanks

• strelitzia32strelitzia32 Posts: 767
    I've never fleeced my blueberries, and they're fine. Do yours specifically say they're not hardy? fleece is used to protect against frost (or birds, or high winds), so just watch your local weather forecast. I think it'll be a few months before you need to worry!
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 8,509
    I've never fleeced mine either.
    The birds love them and they get up a lot earlier than I do, so I grow them in a fruit cage.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 27,568
    I grew them n my Belgian garden - lots of lovely rain like Cumbria but much colder winters.   Never needed fleecing - they are from northern USA after all - but did appreciate a windbreak for protection from beasts form the east and also a netter cage to stop the birds nicking the fruit before I got to it.   

Another reason not to fleece is that it will stop pollinators getting to the flowers to pollinate them and make the fruits.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Thanks all, I'd read online to protect the flowers from spring frost and that some climates might need fleeces in winter. Your input is helpful! I have just netted them actually, will see if that's enough or if I need a cage in due course.

Thanks again 
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 27,568
    You're right about frosts and blossom but just keep an eye on the forecast and throw some fleece over the plant for night protection.   Take it off by day to let the pollinators in.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw