Forum home Fruit & veg

Ants ?

jgriffjgriff Posts: 10
Have grown kidney beans and climbing French beans which were a the top of the sticks doing well, also beetroot.  within 2 days they have yellowed at the bottom and are now wilting.  Cant find any insects nor ants when I disturb the soil. An awful lot of ants in the garden this year. Have put down traps in the veg plot but they seem immune. Any ideas? Very distressed am going to lose all this years bean produce.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 61,384
    edited 26 June
    Hello and welcome to the forum. 

Why do you think ants are the culprits?  They don’t usually cause damage to plants ... especially if they’re not nesting in the roots. Your beans sound to me as if they’re suffering from the heat and need a lot more water. I had the sprinkler on mine for over 40 minutes yesterday evening. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• jgriffjgriff Posts: 10
    Thank you, have had the sprinkler on mine too.  Wondered if it was the ants as they have got into the greenhouse and in the growbags and mined my toms and killed two plants.  Worried about what to put down don't want to poison the produce.  Will try more water though thanks
    We’re getting ants under the porch and last night they came under the skirting board into the sitting room ... again 🙄 
    We sprayed the area with ExAnts which contains herbal oils which are supposed to deter them. Initially they went frantic ... they really didn’t like the smell ... but then they all disappeared and so far they’ve not come back. I’ll spray along the crack again this afternoon. 

We bought it via Ama*on and chose it because it’s not full of noxious chemicals so it may well be ok to use in a greenhouse. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Have just been cutting edges round veg beds loads of nests, we seem to have them all over the lawn a big problem more so this year. Patio has always been problematic. Thank you will research this and see if it's OK near veg. Noticed tiny holes in a lot of bean leaves. Those that are still surviving at present. Not sure if ants do that? 
    I’ve never known ants eat leaves. The reason they go on plants like beans is to harvest honeydew from the aphids that feed on the young shoots. 

If ants are proving to be a real problem you can treat the area with ant-specific nematodes ... but this will simply move them on, not kill them. 

No aphids on the beans, so puzzled have noticed my broad beans going a little yellow they are alongside. Thank you so much for your help 
    edited 26 June
    Maybe a dose of nitrogen-rich chicken manure pellets would help? 

I know legumes fix nitrogen from the atmosphere , but maybe they need a little helping hand. 

Will try perhaps I can save them yet! Put the hose on without sprinkler ants came out from everywhere in the plot 
    Ants like it dry ... keep it damp and they’ll look for somewhere else ... keep your containers and pots well watered too or they’ll move into them. 

OK thank you perhaps I haven't watered enough. Heard neighbours comment we live on a giant anthill. Sandy soil so ideal for them to burrow