Forum home Garden design

Creating symmetry in 2 new flower beds

2»

• AnniDAnniD Posts: 7,314
    This was a post from @bizzie-lizzie back in March 2019

but l can't find anything else on here.
    @Woostie, if you're happy with the path, that's the main thing  :)
  • K67K67 Leicestershire Posts: 1,714
    That's the one @AnniD. Well done you and @bizzielizzie I just liked the way it gave you several planting areas and good access for weeding etc.

• WoostieWoostie Posts: 33
    Thank you @AnniD. I like what they've done with their garden there. It gives the option of sitting and looking at the garden from both ends.

Does anyone have any ideas about evergreen shrubs to give a balance between the 2 beds considering the difference in height of the walls please?
  • amancalledgeorgeamancalledgeorge South LondonPosts: 1,724
    You said you had acidic soil...wonder if it's worth investigating different varieties of rhododendron, some are very small and they certainly scale up to more substantial plants. You could coordinate the flower colours to be harmonised across both sides. For instance Percy Wiseman is pretty small and it has gorgeous flowers. Or otherwise hydrangeas may offer a similar range of sizes and varieties of flowers. 
    To Plant a Garden is to Believe in Tomorrow
  • K67K67 Leicestershire Posts: 1,714
    Is it possible to get a photo of your garden as it's difficult to visualise from a flat drawing.
    With only 2 large areas of planting too large a shrub might end up blocking out what's planted behind but too small a shrub will get lost.
    A small tree might be better as it allows for underplanting.
    You could add obelisks for height growing roses, clematis or sweet peas.
    If you want a more symmetrical look why not do a more formal beds with straighter paths then fill each one with a central plant and then underplant each bed slightly differently but maybe keep to a limited colour palette
  • LoxleyLoxley Posts: 3,090
    Planting a limited range, same on both sides, can be very effective - but you don't need to set them out symmetrically. Note range of sizes, and the trees are symmetrical, but the box is asymmetrically balanced. 

See the source image
  • WoostieWoostie Posts: 33
    @amancalledgeorge, I do like Azaleas so I have been looking at those. I'm very restricted with the height limit though as I have a wonderful view that I don't want to block out.

@K67, I don't have a photo as it currently looks like a building site. I have been pondering with the idea of having an obelisk by the gate and trailing a Clematis along the bottom wall which is where I park my car. 

@WillDB, that's a nice garden but probably a bit more formal than I would like. And I think box is a slow-grower isn't it which also puts me off.

Thanks for the ideas :smile: