Forum home Fruit & veg

Help on how to pollinate this apple tree

Hi
Bought this apple tree from an online supplier and trying to get information on how to pollinate in future but just cant seem to get any information from them.  I am in central Scotland, so climate is a bit mixed too, if that's any relevance.

Large Pillar Apple - Malus Malini Subito

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks, Carol

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,506
    edited June 2020
    Hello and welcome to the forum :)

It's a fairly new variety and the information online is unclear as to whether it's self fertile or not ... I suggest you contact the breeders  for their advice 

http://www.lubera.co.uk/plants/fruit-trees/columnar-fruit-trees/columnar-apples-malini/columnar-apple-malini-subito
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Thanks, yes, I have tried doing that, but unfortunately not getting any response so far. 
    Oh dear ... well my next suggestion is to plant a crab apple ... a lot of commercial orchards plant a few crabapple trees as a backup for all round pollination as they tend to have quite a long flowering period. The orchards near where I used to live had a few John Downies dotted around the place. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Thanks, actually that sounds good, I had Bern thinking of a crab apple for another spot, so I'll go ahead with that and hope it helps.
    I may yet get a reply from the grower. 
    Thanks very much for taking the time. 

:)  hope it works out ok. 

• Thanks, fingers crossed! 
    Have a good weekend.