Forum home Plants

Gaura out of control!

B3B3 Posts: 14,681
I have a variety of gauras but they are sprawling out or five feet along the ground.
Should I have pruned them right down in the spring or is that what they do?
What would happen if I cut them back now?
In London. Keen but lazy.

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 21,852
    You'd lose all the flowers and maybe the plant.   I cut mine back to the crown in March when I see the new growth starting.   One was sprawly in habit for a couple of years so I put supports around it - like a peony cage support - but this year it's got the idea and is growing more upright.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • SuesynSuesyn South Somerset Posts: 297
    I didn't cut mine back and they have flopped all over the place but I don't have the heart to cut back when they're flowering. Still, I will know better next year. 
  • B3B3 Posts: 14,681
    Lesson learnt. Thank you @Obelixx. Same with penstemons cowardly pruning. 
    They stayed in leaf all this winter. Do I still wait until spring to remove current stems?
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 21,852
    I would but you could also try shortening them so they don't lose all their leaves and flowers and have a shock..
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 26,165
    maybe trim some of the stems back to 6 inches to see if you get a flush of new growth
    Devon.
    I might try a few and hope they don't notice.
    edited 11 July
    I cut back the most vigorous one back to about a foot soon after the last post ( cue bugle and flag). It has sprouted all along the stems and I think there may be flower buds in the ends😊
    That was the bog standard white one. Now I'm going to go for the dark flowered one and the one with the variegated leaves. At least I know it's not going to kill them

Update: Masses of flower buds after a few weeks. Don't  be shy. Prune it!