Forum home Fruit & veg

Cucumber advice please - haven't grown before

I was given two small cucumber plants (do not know the variety). They are in individual large pots in the greenhouse  and growing well.  One plant has a cucumber 6inches long.  There are several small cucumbers about 1inch long but are not growing although i am keeping the soil moist.
Also there are lots of flowers both male and female, should I remove the male flowers, I am reading conflicting advice about their removal.

• Sabina13Sabina13 Posts: 113
    Whether you remove male flowers or not unfortunetly depends on the variety! Some varities do not need the male flowers for pollination and if they do get cross pollinated with the males the cucumbers end up bitter. Other varities need the males. Most modern varities are entirely female flowers only (which clearly yours is not). 

In my experience with cucks, once you've picked the first couple of fruits it really amps the plant into production mode. 
  • Information on the flowers is very useful.  Pity I do not have the name of the variety.  Now I need the little baby cucumbers to grow bigger.  It seems all the energy from the plant is going into one cucumber!  I am tempted to pick it and see what happens next.

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 8,504
    Some cucumbers are meant to be picked when small.
    The ones I grow are ready to harvest when about 4" long and the more I pick, the more that grow.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.