Forum home Tools and techniques

Niwaki coir twine or other brand?

2»

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 35,520
    The blue tits in my garden love the cheapo Asda string just as much as I do. Perfect nesting material....

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• B3B3 Posts: 15,969
    That looks like a little animal with very long whiskers
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 35,520
    They were in the back garden too, using a bit tying in the clematis 
    Like little generals with very fine moustaches  ;)

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 66,330
    Just as attractive, twice as practical and very environmentally friendly   and costing peanuts ... I use raffia for tieing in annuals like sweet peas etc. https://www.burford.co.uk/garden/accessories-and-storage/nutscene-natural-raffia/

You can buy it online, from hardware stores and  craft shops. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• TopbirdTopbird Posts: 5,985
    edited June 2020
    A couple of years ago I found tins of string in a local builders' merchant. Very retro cream and green style with a hole in the top to pull the twine through and containing a large ball of green garden twine. The sort of thing they sell on designery web sites for £12.99. These were £1.99 each.

Being from Yorkshire - so with an ever vigilant eye for cheap good value presents😉 - hubby bought me 2 tins (one for front garden and one for the back) for Christmas. Still on the original ball of twine in one. Very useful gift. 
    Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down
  • josusa47josusa47 Posts: 3,532
    I'll carry on cutting up my old tights and mother's popsocks.  And picking up those nice chunky rubber bands that the postmen drop on the pavement.