Forum home Wildlife gardening
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Woodlice lovers' society

• josusa47josusa47 Posts: 3,530
    I haven't really counted them or given them names; I was just being whimsical.  I am pleased so many people like them.
  • Are they beneficial to a compost heap ?
  • GemmaJFGemmaJF Posts: 2,286
    edited June 2020
    I've lived in various parts of East Anglia and not heard any of those names for them. We just called them woodlice.

Was fascinated by them as a child, don't see too many these days (or earwigs either which I like too), perhaps too close to an arable field and chemicals. I would hope the older logs in the wildlife garden are a good home for some woodlice, I don't often disturb things in there though, so don't see them.
  • josusa47josusa47 Posts: 3,530
    Are they beneficial to a compost heap ?
    Very much so; they chew up the dead remains of plants and add the poo to the compost.
  • wild edgeswild edges Posts: 10,497
    I finally found one \o/  After checking more woodlice than I care to admit to I found this Common Striped Woodlouse sat on a leaf last night. Note the dark head, wide brown stripe down the middle of the body and the stepped-in tail sections. Also known as the Fast Woodlouse and you'd be amazed by how quickly these things can move.

If you can keep your head, while those around you are losing theirs, you may not have grasped the seriousness of the situation.
  • HalleSHalleS Posts: 105
    I love them as well! I used to collect them as a kid and create obstacle courses for them to complete. We called them "potato bugs" in America, sometimes "pill bugs."
    ...Or maybe it was just my family!
  • wild edgeswild edges Posts: 10,497
    Not a woodlouse but very similar. The giant pill millipede :)
    If you can keep your head, while those around you are losing theirs, you may not have grasped the seriousness of the situation.
    @philippasmith2 I'm glad I could give you a chuckle. I tried to have a "potato bug competition" one summer, tried to sell tickets and everything, but all of my neighbours said they were too busy to attend!  :D
    I think it's safe to say I was a weird kid.
    @philippasmith2 I've just looked at cheese rolling... How absolutely wonderful! Although I think I'll stick with my potato bugs.
  • We have hoards of them in our garden.. They pop up everywhere. Found one in our downstairs loo scaling the wall the other day lol