Forum home Plants

Plant identification:

OwlbearOwlbear Posts: 49
edited June 2020 in Plants
Hello,

Just wondering if anyone has any ideas about this plant that has popped up:

Thanks.

• Joy*Joy* Posts: 571
    It looks familiar but is a bit small to be certain what it is. I suspect I have seen it when weeding! It wont have survived. Helping you to bump this!
  • Silver surferSilver surfer Posts: 3,711

Goodness Joy, thread only started 2hrs 10 mins ago!
    Many people who may know it, but may be out enjoying the sun...working in the garden.

Tried to look closer.
    Cannot see any detail...buds not open yet.
    Suspect it is just a weed.
    Perthshire. SCOTLAND .
  • Joy*Joy* Posts: 571
    I think that it is a weed, possibly scarlet pimpernel. If you leave it until the flowers open and they are red, you can be more certain.
    By the way, you have included another plant in the right hand corner of the picture. It looks like bittercress which is an absolute brute of a weed if you let it seed. It flings huge numbers of seeds over a considerable distance. It is difficult to tell, but I'm doing my level best not to let it into my garden so tend to recognise it when it is tiny. My last garden was full of it and it was a constant battle to keep it under control! It tended to win!
  • Silver surferSilver surfer Posts: 3,711
    Joy* said:
    I think that it is a weed, possibly scarlet pimpernel. If you leave it until the flowers open and they are red, you can be more certain.

Sorry but leaves/growth habit very different from Anagallis arvensis..common name Scarlet pimpernel...leaves shiney, opposite, one flower per stalk   etc 
    See pics below.

Perthshire. SCOTLAND .
  • AsarumAsarum East AngliaPosts: 567
    I think it is Galinsoga parviflora or Gallant soldier.  Not a problem as a weed.
    East Anglia
  • OwlbearOwlbear Posts: 49
    edited June 2020
    Thanks for the replies.

I guess the fact that no one has gone "it's this dreadful thing, get it out ASAP" is a good sign.

I agree it most likely is going to turn out to be a weed, just a bit curious really. Maybe I'll wait for those buds to develop a bit more before getting a better picture.

Regarding Bittercress @Joy* , I'm constantly pulling it out, we get loads of it, plus hundreds of Mercury seedlings if you so much as think about disturbing soil. Hopefully your current patch stays clear.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,465
    If the flowers are like little yellow daisies it could  be Nipplewort ... Lapsana communis. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• AsarumAsarum East AngliaPosts: 567
    You maybe right Dove!  😀. Either way it’s an unassuming weed.
    East Anglia