Forum home Problem solving

PIGEON GATE! 🕊🕊🕊

Hello,

I hope anyone who is reading this is well :)

I have a lot of pigeons that come and sit on my brand new fence and poo all over it and my plants underneath. My joining neighbour wanted to get spikes for the fence but i don't really like that idea.

Does anyone have any other ideas?

🤩🤩🤩 K 

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 16,159
    What is the attraction in your garden that they sit on the fence? Is it food? If so you have a choice. Stop feeding them or put spikes on the fence. They will usually go where it is most hospitable.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • KChan89KChan89 Posts: 13
    I have a pond, so i think they like the running water from the waterfall feature to bathe in. 

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 9,076
    I have the same problem with pigeons crapping over my cordon pears and blackberries.
    I've put up spikes and they seem to work.
    They don't harm the bird, they just make it uncomfortable to land on your fence and crap over your plants, so they go elsewhere.
    CD's hung by string and reflecting then sun also deters them, but only on a sunny day.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,405
    We have a few woodies and some stock dove types who hang around here hoovering up the bits of sunflower hearts that the goldfinches discard. If they didn’t keep the ground free of seed spill we’d probably get rats. 

Personally I prefer the appearance of bird poo to those horrible unsightly spikes which make garden fences look like prison camps ... but then I would say that wouldn’t I? 🤣 
    Dove 🕊 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

... but then I would say that wouldn’t I? 🤣 
    Dove 🕊 
    Yes - you're biased 😁

The spikes don't need to be obtrusive-

We have a few woodies and some stock dove types who hang around here hoovering up the bits of sunflower hearts that the goldfinches discard. If they didn’t keep the ground free of seed spill we’d probably get rats. 

Personally I prefer the appearance of bird poo to those horrible unsightly spikes which make garden fences look like prison camps ... but then I would say that wouldn’t I? 🤣 
    Dove 🕊 

Agreed, they look too industrial. 
    Pete.8 said:
     ... but then I would say that wouldn’t I? 🤣 
    Dove 🕊 
    Yes - you're biased 😁

The spikes don't need to be obtrusive-

😁😁😁

Oh, ok! They don't look to bad, i had them metal ones in mind but i didn't realise they did these.  🤔
  • KeenOnGreenKeenOnGreen Posts: 1,674
    @Pete.8   We also have Prikkastrip on some of our fences, but it doesn't deter Squirrels, Pidgeons or any other birds.  It is probably best at keeping unwanted human visitors out.  

The stuff you see on commercial/council buildings is uglier, but probably better at keeping Pidgeons off the fence.

This is my fence

These are the ones I got - 
    https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0046YJNCM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I tried cutting one strip so there was just a single row of spikes and that had no effect, so I replaced them with the 3 row spike and that does seem to work.
    I only have 1 panel covered for the blackberry and 2 panels where I grow my pears, so there's still about 250ft of fence birds can perch on, so they're not being too hard done by, but I prefer custard with my blackberries! :)