Forum home Problem solving

Help I am very very new to gardening and recently brought a Dahlia Melody Gypsy plant

I am very very new to gardening and recently brought a Dahlia Melody Gypsy plant which has been put in to my flower bed, this morning i have gone to water it and noticed a bulb has come to the surface (it had started flowering already) i then stupidly tried to push it down and then crushed the tubler below it which went gooey, i replanted and hoped for the best ( i assume that wasn't the right thing to do) can anyone give me advice on if it will die or how to help it

thank you!

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 16,160
    I sounds like the old tuber is rotting away . Don't worry, it will make new storage tubers towards the end of the summer.  If a bit of tuber is exposed it is not a problem, but if you have some more soil, cover the tuber up with that. It sounds like it could have done with planting a bit deeper, but I would leave it as it is now. Keep watering during this hot weather. Once a week give it a feed with something soluble like miracle grow or phostrogen .  It will grow up to 3ft high, and the large flowers will be quite heavy, so I would get some strong 4 ft canes, push them in about a foot deep if you can, and  tie each strong stem to one cane.  That will stop the whole plant collapsing in bad weather.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • Thank you so much! that has given me some peace of mind! im very new to gardening and these are my first plants so thanks for the advice!