Forum home Wildlife gardening

Mason bees?

• FireFire LondonPosts: 7,738
    edited June 2020
    Treeface said:

This was the link posted and it doesn't have inspection tubes.
    They make many different types of nest boxes. There are other professional companies that have researched long and hard into making ideal designs for solitary bees. I can't keep honeybee hives where I live, so these designed boxes are the next best thing for. I don't mind shelling out £50, where it would be hundreds for hives and equipment. This one is used at Kew Gardens and the maker was featured on Springwatch some years back.

• PyraPyra Central Scotland Posts: 139
    Wow thanks everyone. That's a lot of info. As someone else said I don't mind paying a bit more for one that will actually be used and not just collect spiders. @Fire yours looks nice. Can you take the tubes out to clean them? 

@Fairygirl I don't really have anything to give me enough twigs yet. But I can raid the woods near me! Is it just thin hollow twigs you leave out? 
    This one below and the one on page one you can clean out, yes.

Inspection tubes for a start..

@LeadFarmer which make and model is this one please?
  • LeadFarmerLeadFarmer Posts: 917
    Treeface said:

This was the link posted and it doesn't have inspection tubes.

There are various types available, some on that website, and also on the Schwegler website.
    Fire said:

@LeadFarmer which make and model is this one please?
    Its the Schwegler Insect House

https://www.schwegler-natur.de/portfolio_1408430231/insektennisthaus/?lang=en
    It would appear from reading the links that people have provided above that solitary bee nest boxes etc must be protected from the rain and once occupied will usually need overwintering somewhere dry but cold, such as a car port, and then returned back outside early spring. If the box gets saturated with rain then the nest inside the hole can get destroyed or fungus can grow and kill the larvae.
    It would appear from reading the links that people have provided above that solitary bee nest boxes etc must be protected from the rain and once occupied will usually need overwintering somewhere dry but cold, such as a car port, and then returned back outside early spring. If the box gets saturated with rain then the nest inside the hole can get destroyed or fungus can grow and kill the larvae.

@wild edges  is this your routine?
  • PyraPyra Central Scotland Posts: 139
    Brilliant, thanks everyone! @Fire I think I'll get one with the viewing window. I can imagine my son will love that when he's a bit older. I like the ones that can be cleaned, since that apparently can cut down on the disease (which makes sense).