Forum home Fruit & veg

Dwarf beans

zakzakzakzak Posts: 89
I've got some dwarf bean plants. I've noticed that some leaves are a bit limp. It's not dry help wants wrong first time I've had a go at beans. I've also got a medium size hydrangea with no flower buds at all just leaf. I don't appear to be having much luck. Can anyone help please.

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 16,830
    What kind of beans? French beans? Broad beans?

You don’t say what type of hydrangea you have either, but maybe you have been pruning off the flower buds?  See here for more info

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=516

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • LaineyefjtLaineyefjt Posts: 8
    I'm assuming you mean French beans? Any chance you could have damaged the roots? 
    Or is your soil quality not great? Mines rubbish in Hampshire (clay and full of Flint) and I have to really loosen the soil before planting and chuck in a scoop of manure. I keep them watered every day and plant in large groups as this has worked well for me so far. I have a few types this year and one is flopping all over the place🙄 But Python ones are doing great. Are yours yellow or just dry looking like they are shrivelling up? 
  • strelitzia32strelitzia32 Posts: 262
    Do the leaves firm up late evening? I've noticed the heat seems to be really affecting my French climbing, floppy leaves in the day even with moist compost. Isn't affecting the plant or the crop though.
  • PlashingPlashing Posts: 189
    Don't worry I had a tray of small lettuce plants shriveled up yesterday in the greenhouse I bought them out and gave them a good watering and they survived.I noticed some of the runner beans had stated to look droopy this afternoon,I had a look an hour ago when the sun had gone round,they have perk up now,I shall give them a good watering tonight even though it gives storms tomorrow.
  • GemmaJFGemmaJF Posts: 2,171
    Plashing said:
    Don't worry I had a tray of small lettuce plants shriveled up yesterday in the greenhouse I bought them out and gave them a good watering and they survived.I noticed some of the runner beans had stated to look droopy this afternoon,I had a look an hour ago when the sun had gone round,they have perk up now,I shall give them a good watering tonight even though it gives storms tomorrow.
    Best thing to do. I never rely on storms, they can be very localised and miss an area completely, or it can pour down. Forecast keeps changing here, was supposed to be tomorrow, now a slim chance tonight and likely Saturday morning. It's been crazy hot here today, not a cloud in the sky, so been out with the watering cans for the last hour. At least we got some breeze off the local estuary this afternoon.
  • zakzakzakzak Posts: 89
    Thank you all for your comments. The beans are dwarf beans they are happier now in cooler weather. The hydrangea is just the bog standard one. It's just leaf😢