Forum home Problem solving

Morello cherry tree leaves yellowing

Hi everyone!
I’m quite a beginner in the garden but decided to give it a go during lockdown. 
Replanted a morello cherry tree a few weeks ago, watered heavily to make sure it’s bedded in. 
Soil in my garden seems to have very good drainage so although I’ve watered a lot not sure if this is the issue. 

Noticed a few of the leaves recently yellowing like in the attached photos. 
Any ideas what this might be caused by?

also, is a simple net enough to fend off large birds I have already pecking at the fruits?

thanks for the advice! 

•  :# 
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 86,085
    That looks perfectly fine to me @jakecannon 😊 a few yellowing leaves are normal and nothing to worry about. 

If you can get hold of some secondhand net curtains at a charity shop or on Freecycle, draping them over the fruit trees will keep the birds off ... you can use netting but be careful to use a fine mesh so birds can’t get themselves entangled ... and you’ll need to inspect several times a day. 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Loraine3Loraine3 Posts: 571
    Yes, net curtains are ideal. I hold them on with clothes pegs 
  • She’s not getting better guys :(

gets shade every day from about midday to sunset. 

I watered a lot to bed the roots in maybe almost daily for two weeks. Was it too much?
    I stopped 3 days ago so hoping to see improvement by next week maybe! 

Honestly ... that’s not bad. I wouldn’t be worrying if it were mine. 
    Prunus of all sorts sometimes have a few yellow leaves mid-season. 
    I would give it a couple of gallons of water every other evening. It’s very hard to overwater something that’s planted in the ground unless it’s in solid clay. 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Ah thanks!! Okay, will let it be! 
    Not actually sure what kind of soil it’s planted in would be described as though .. 
    It doesn’t look like solid clay 😊