Forum home Problem solving

Morello cherry tree leaves yellowing

Hi everyone!
I’m quite a beginner in the garden but decided to give it a go during lockdown. 
Replanted a morello cherry tree a few weeks ago, watered heavily to make sure it’s bedded in. 
Soil in my garden seems to have very good drainage so although I’ve watered a lot not sure if this is the issue. 

Noticed a few of the leaves recently yellowing like in the attached photos. 
Any ideas what this might be caused by?

also, is a simple net enough to fend off large birds I have already pecking at the fruits?

thanks for the advice! 

•  :# 
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,351
    That looks perfectly fine to me @jakecannon 😊 a few yellowing leaves are normal and nothing to worry about. 

If you can get hold of some secondhand net curtains at a charity shop or on Freecycle, draping them over the fruit trees will keep the birds off ... you can use netting but be careful to use a fine mesh so birds can’t get themselves entangled ... and you’ll need to inspect several times a day. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Loraine3Loraine3 Posts: 541
    Yes, net curtains are ideal. I hold them on with clothes pegs 
  • She’s not getting better guys :(

gets shade every day from about midday to sunset. 

I watered a lot to bed the roots in maybe almost daily for two weeks. Was it too much?
    I stopped 3 days ago so hoping to see improvement by next week maybe! 

Honestly ... that’s not bad. I wouldn’t be worrying if it were mine. 
    Prunus of all sorts sometimes have a few yellow leaves mid-season. 
    I would give it a couple of gallons of water every other evening. It’s very hard to overwater something that’s planted in the ground unless it’s in solid clay. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Ah thanks!! Okay, will let it be! 
    Not actually sure what kind of soil it’s planted in would be described as though .. 
    It doesn’t look like solid clay 😊