Forum home Garden design

Something to replace old outbuilding

I have a lovely stone-built outbuilding which I may have to have demolished for safety reasons. I am absolutely gutted as I fell in love with the building when I bought the house and I feel like its destroying part of the house's history.

I'm trying to get my head round this and starting to think what I could put there in its place. My husband wants a shed but I can't bear the thought of that although we do need to have some storage space. I'm currently looking at summerhouses online because at least they can be made to look more attractive than a boring shed.

My house is a Victorian terraced so I don't want anything too modern looking. So I'm looking for opinions from those of you who have summerhouses please. Do you use it as much as you thought you would? Do you also use it for storage? Would you choose the same again or do you wish you had chosen something completely different?

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 27,170
    Can we see this , soon to be no more, structure? Can you post a photo?
    Devon.
  • WoostieWoostie Posts: 38
    This photo was taken last year. Unfortunately now the roof is starting to collapse and the slate tiles are starting to come away. Also the walls are bulging outwards so it's only a matter of time before the whole thing falls.late tiles
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 27,170
    what a shame. It's beautiful
    Devon.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 67,172
    edited June 2020
    That is gorgeous ... a good builder with traditional
    skills and a bit of imagination could restore/renovate/rebuild that  and make you the most glorious potting shed/reading nook out of that. Love it 😍 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 4,167
    Possibly if the roof structure is failing, it's putting pressure on the walls which is affecting them. Getting it reroofed along with some repairs to the walls could possibly save it (if that is what's going on). And that may be cheaper than buying a new shed - it would certainly be both more attractive and more sustainable than a new shed. You should get a price for trying to save it and compare that to the cost of knocking it down, getting rid of all the demolition material, forming a new base and buying a new shed. Just to see if demolition really is the best option. It does seem a shame.
    “It's not worth doing something unless someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren't doing it.” ― Terry Pratchett
  • WoostieWoostie Posts: 38
    I've had 3 roofers look at it and they all say it can be saved but the whole roof needs to be removed, the joists replaced as they are rotten and the roof replaced with possibly half of the slates which could be saved. I'm waiting for their quotes to come in but it's looking like it's going to cost a lot, probably 2 or 3 times more than taking it down.
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 7,454
    Fingers crossed the quotes are reasonable, it would be nice to see it restored to former glory.
    Please let us know what you decide to do  :)
    It needs the right sort of builder ...
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 35,520
    I'd agree- it would be a shame to lose that completely.
    Perhaps even if it does collapse, you can get the right builder [as Dove says] who can rebuild something you can use again. Perfect just as a store or a potting shed, or even just a feature wall and a bed for planting into.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

A Folly ... every garden should have a Folly ... bring back the fashion for Follies 🥰