Forum home Plants


Hi everyone
My Mom asked me to get her some comfrey following on from the GW fertiliser tip.
After searching i've read it's highly toxic which can be absorbed through the skin causing major problems.  Am I looking at the wrong thing ?


  • Silver surferSilver surfer Posts: 4,200
    Symphytum...common name Comfrey.
    It is wonderful in compost heaps and for making liquid fertilize plants.
    Maybe safer to use gloves while collecting the leaves
    Suggest you don't try to eat it.

    Quote wiki...

    Toxicity and adverse effects[edit]

    Comfrey contains pyrrolizidine alkaloids which are toxic compounds readily absorbed via the stomach or skin, and have potential to increase the risk of fatal liver toxicity.[5][6][12] In 2001, the US Food and Drug Administration and Federal Trade Commission banned the sale of comfrey products from the market due to its potential toxicities.[13][14] A 2018 review on pyrrolizidine alkaloids present in comfrey indicated widespread potential toxicity to humans and livestock, and the opportunity for drug development from these compounds.[15

    Perthshire. SCOTLAND .
  • herbaceousherbaceous Posts: 2,314
    And I would suggest maybe get your mum the Bocking 14 version stonycross.  It still flowers and does everything comfrey should do but is sterile so your mum can split the plant and choose where to put it rather than chasing it all over her garden  :) 
    "The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it."  Sir Terry Pratchett
Sign In or Register to comment.