Forum home The potting shed

winter veg for a small plot

Hi everyone, I have always grown tomatoes, spring onion, radish, and a few lettuce, I would like to continue the growing season  what could I put into this same area which is a 2mt raised bed and can be cloched, that would be harvested in time for me to continue  with the summer veg. would pak choi and perpetual spinach mature in time? I would value your suggestions on other veg I could grow. Many thanks in anticipation

• SkylarksSkylarks East MidlandsPosts: 362
    Parsnips? I’m thinking of sowing some soon but I have an empty container for them. Maybe you could sow them in empty loo/kitchen rolls and plant them in the bed once your other veg have been harvested. I’m also thinking spinach as well. 

Some pak choi have quite a long growing season so check which variety is best.

Be good to hear what the more experienced gardeners recommend.
  • GemmaJFGemmaJF Posts: 2,286
    edited June 2020
    Would recommend 'How to Grow Winter Vegetables' by Charles Dowding. The list is almost endless of what you could grow and he provides plenty of detailed info of when to sow, when to plant, when to harvest, useful for planning.
  • purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 3,875
    Last winter tried purple sprouting broccoli, leeks, and onions.
    The broccoli didn't grow well and was eaten in January by caterpillars ( who knew 😲) the leeks had to come out to make way for the spring planting ( they looked like spring onions 🙄) and the onions are still in there 10 months later and don't look bigger.🤯
    Not sure if I will try again.
  • stephentamestephentame Southwest EnglandPosts: 193
    I've been really impressed with Valdor lettuce in the winter - slow growing at that time of year, but great to have some winter leaves. Leaf beet is the one plant I'd always want to have growing in the winter, and if you like spicy leaves - mustard 'Green in Snow' which you can also easily save the seed from to grow more.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 70,252
    edited June 2020
    I grow and harvest Swiss chard through the winter ... leaf beet or perpetual spinach are similar. With a cloche that’d be perfect and you could grow plenty in that space. 
    It’ll be past it’s best and ready to pull up by the time you’re ready to put in your summer veg. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh