Forum home Plants

The Clematis Thread 2020

1634 Racine1634 Racine Posts: 483
There seem to be a few threads dedicated to roses but I couldn’t find one dedicated to our old friend the clematis (I’ll delete this thread if someone points one out 😁)  I would love to see what varieties others have in their gardens.  I have 4 in total (3 in flower at the moment).  Would love to plant a spring clematis but don’t really have the right spot 🙁

Anyway, here we go

C. viticella ‘Madame Julia Correvon’ scrambling up a dog rose

C. Viticella ‘Super Nova’.

C. Viticella ‘Rhapsody’

Clematis ‘Andromeda’.  This is doing very well in a shady spot

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 20,430
    Good idea and I'll join later when I have some decent pics.  I had about 50 in my Belgian garden and brought some with me in pots and have bought new ones since we arrived in October '16 but have only just go round to planting them out - combination of drought and earthworks needed to get suitable planting conditions.

Since planting it, Blue ANgel is doing well, Astra Nova has been half chewed by snails, Silver Moon has been completely eaten by snails and Piilu has also been nobbled.   War has been declared!   I have Huldine, Princess Diana, Star of India, Jan Fopma, Lambton Park, Caerulea Luxurians and Maxima all waiting to be planted out. 

We have one inherited clematis that I have nurtured from one 6" shoot in a dry and lifeless wall bed I found the week we got the keys in July '16.  We were only here for 3 more days then but I cleared all the weeds and gave it a big bowl of water every day.   Back again to paint and measure again in August and loads more water given and some feed.   By then it was 30cms high and had branched.  No idea what it is tho - group 2 or 3 and purple but not one I recognise.  It has been well fed and had lots of mulching and soil improving since but is another the snails love to munch.

Might have to set up a snail farm and sell them to restaurants.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • 1634 Racine1634 Racine Posts: 483
    Thanks @Obelixx

i feel your pain on the snail front.  Those young shoots are just so fragile and juicy.

Looking forward to seeing your photos for some inspiration 
  • poppyfield64poppyfield64 CornwallPosts: 61
    @1634 Racine I love your C. Viticella ‘Rhapsody' such a stunning colour!!
  • K67K67 Leicestershire Posts: 930
    I did have 13 in my garden but there seem to be more problems with them this year than last, Lucky Charm went brown so have cut it down but hope for regrowth.
    Last year's clematis terniflora

Hagelby white just coming into flower but will probably take it out this autumn as it's a lot of green in too small an area.

Tranquilite starting to have leaf problems, Raymond Evison clematis dont seem very healthy for me, also I think vine weevil are eating the leaves.

Amethyst Beauty just about surviving much more a deep purple than photo 

Rest haven't flowered yet but the 2 Korean clematis did well earlier on but the Blue Eclipse seemed to be too leafy and hid the flowers and Amber isnt such a strong grower but its only their second year.

• TreefaceTreeface Posts: 386
    edited 23 June
    Assume group 2 early flowering. First flush in early May and now nothing. Deadheaded regularly. Any ideas what it is? Closest I could find is "fujimusume" but website pictures show that having 8 sepals and not the 5/6 shown in the pictured specimen.
  • Janie BJanie B LincolnshirePosts: 565
    @1634 Racine Lovely pic of your Super Nova... one arrived here today, ordered from Taylors!
  • edhelkaedhelka GwyneddPosts: 934
    @1634 Racine Thank you for this thread, it was needed.
    Lovely clematises. Just to say, your rose is not a dog rose, it is probably 'American Pillar'.
  • 1634 Racine1634 Racine Posts: 483
    Janie B said:
    @1634 Racine Lovely pic of your Super Nova... one arrived here today, ordered from Taylors!
    I think I have had all mine from Taylors.  Very reliable and strong, healthy plant
  • PianoplayerPianoplayer Posts: 36
    @1634 Racine Yes, agree with others, thank you for starting this thread. Some lovely pictures.

@K67 Interested in your comments re Raymond Evison clematis. I was pondering getting one, but are they temperamental? I'm not an experienced gardener so won't be able to cope with anything difficult!