Forum home Fruit & veg

Base layer for raised bed

Petal82Petal82 KentPosts: 3
Hello everyone 👋🏻

I’m a newbie on here and to veg growing so I’m hoping for some helpful advice. The OH has built me a large raised bed which is sitting on soil. The soil has been covered with plastic and shingle for years which has now been removed and soil dug over. It contains lots of rubble so not sure how suitable it is, hence the bed.
Im going to fill it with sieved topsoil, MPC and some bought farmyard manure. I can’t decide what to put on the bottom first?? Shingle for drainage?? Cardboard?? Anything as it’s on soil?? Any help would be very much appreciated. :/

• Lizzie27Lizzie27 SomersetPosts: 9,267
    You don't need to put anything on the bottom, it will be fine with your mix on top. The rubble will help with drainage so that's all good. 
  • Petal82Petal82 KentPosts: 3
    Hi Lizzie27,
    Thank u, that’s a great help  :)
  • rachelQrtJHBjbrachelQrtJHBjb South BucksPosts: 805
    I went for the Charles Dowding no dig method of making raised beds with cardboard on the bottom, then filling up. The cardboard rots down and if you have any that's going spare why no use it.
  • Petal82Petal82 KentPosts: 3
    Hi rachelQrtjhbjb,
    I did a bit of both suggestions in the end. I had already saved some cardboard in case I’d need it so I tore it into smaller pieces and scattered it on the bottom..and left some rubble for drainage. Best of both! 

Thanks again to u both :)