Forum home Garden design

perennials resistant to slugs

• FlyDragonFlyDragon Greater ManchesterPosts: 628
    I've hardly seen any slugs this year, not sure if its the weird weather or the fact that I've made a big effort to attract birds in, but now that I think about it I don't think I've seen a single one!  And only about 4 or 5 snails. 
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 16,819
    During the hot spell the slugs seemed to go into hiding,  now since the deluge there’s millions of them.
    I have frogs, toads, and lots of birds, I have yet to find a bird that will eat a slug, I collect them up, put them on the bird feeding slab, they stay there until they start to walk away.
    hedgehogs will only eat them as a last resort.  

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• PosyPosy Isle of Wight.Posts: 2,279
    We only had a drop of rain down here - well, two drops, to be accurate. I have never seen birds eating slugs, either, and some of the slugs are nearly as big as the birds, so I don't blame them!
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 7,638
    josusa47 said:
    In my experience, they won't eat anything aromatic. 
    I had a big slug problem on my garlic plants. Which surpised me.

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 23,340
    Slugs happily munched their way thru daffodils and day lilies in my Belgian garden along with many other treasures.

Here the problem is snails but I discovered, by accident, that leaving a large empty plant pot upturned after planting out a rose garnered me about 3 dozen of the little dears in a variety of sizes.   Same again the next night.  Only 2 dozen the next.   I have yet to check today but these are from a newly planted rose bed which includes clematis, Japanese anemones, penstemons, Michaelmas daisies, hemerocallis, verbena bonariensis and sanguisorbia.   

Nightly inspections of these plants to catch the perishers only ever yielded one or two so the pot will stay till no longer needed and give my clematis a chance to recover.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • I've never had a problem with them on my hellebores, crocosmias, aquilegias, or dicentras. Heucheras have been a bit hit and miss, some they like, some they don't. My apple crisp heuchera really took a munching this year but has now bounced back, and my kimono heucherella was eaten so badly I dug it up, potted it and put it out of the way. Fully recovered now but when I lifted it there were no leaves left on it 😬
  • rachelQrtJHBjbrachelQrtJHBjb South BucksPosts: 571
    Amsonia, echinacea, geraniums, Sibirian iris, asters, astrantia, thermopsis, origanum, gaura, Diascia personata, Phlomis russeliana, campanula, bergenia, Lathyrus vernus, Brunnera macrophylla, Hacknonechloa macra, lots of grasses (stipa, calamagrostis, miscanthus), Acanthus 'Rue Ledan', Gillenia trifoliata, euphorbia, catanche, verbascum, Verbena rigida, solidago, persicaria, Artemisia 'Valerie Finnis', Lysimachia punctata. I used to feel that the slugs marched off the lawn into the borders but I have found all of the above good-doers and untouched by these voracious devils.
  • debs64debs64 West Midlands, on the edge of the Black Country Posts: 3,050
    I have recently noticed an increase in big birds in the garden, jackdaws, magpies and pigeons mostly, we seem now to have almost no slug damage so wondering if anyone knows if these birds eat them? I have started using fat ball feeders which attract the bigger birds and I hope help stop them preying on little birds, costing me £4 a week but worth every penny if it helps little birds and maybe solves slug issues? Maybe my imagination but there definitely seem less of the slimy critters around. 
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 16,819
    I can agree with Rachel, above, I have some of those plants, untouched by slugs.
    little dishes to lager sunk in the ground attracts a lot of them through the night. 
    Some of my geraniums but not all get chewed. Never Penstemon or hard leaf Salvias, they will nibble the Black n Blue when it first comes up. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• B3B3 Posts: 15,782
    @Fire. I've been thinking about what you posted about them hating the taste of toadflax. I wonder if it could be whizzed in a blender, mix with water and spray it on susceptible plants.
    To lazy to try it myself.😉
    In London. Keen but lazy.