Forum home Fruit & veg
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Choosing fruit cordons

Hello, 

We’re relandscaped our garden to include a large raised bed against a wall that we’d like to grow cordon fruit trees in.

We should be able to fit 6 at a distance of 800cm apart. It’s a sheltered spot and gets the sun from midday onwards.

Does anyone have any suggestion for eating apple, pear or other fruit varieties. I’m really struggling to choose!

Thanks, Emma

• SkylarksSkylarks Posts: 379
    Hi Emma and welcome to the forum. Unfortunately, I can’t help as I have no experience on this so giving you a bump.
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Posts: 11,340
    edited June 2020
    Hi Emma
    I put in some pear cordons a couple of years ago.
    A friend has 39 pear trees!! and gave me some suggestions.
    I planted Doyenne du Comice, Burre Hardy, Concorde, Merton Pride and Glou Morceau (this one I got as a tree and not a cordon)
    So far I've had pears from the Comice and Concorde - very nice too.
    I bought the cordons from Keepers Nursery from a recommendation from another forum member and I was very impressed by the size and quality of the cordons.

I did have a few apple trees years ago and a couple that really stood out were Greensleves and Egremont Russett.
    I have since planted a new Hereford Russett, but still waiting for fruit.

Pear cordons against the west-facing fence. Raspberries to the left against the fence and blackcurrant bushes in the front

Billericay - Essex

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • Thank you @Pete.8 that's great I'm going to have a look at Keepers now :)