Forum home Tools and techniques

Plant propagation

LatimerLatimer Latimer, BuckinghamshirePosts: 364
Want to try my hand at propagating some plants to try and get some new plants without spending too much money! Is the RHS propagating book worth buying or is everything in the book pretty much available on the website? I'd be buying the Kindle version so either way I'd be in front of a screen!

• BraidmanBraidman Posts: 122

Watch Carol on some GW programmes or Beechgrove, they show how simple it is without buying the book!
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 7,174
    Personally l would rather watch someone taking cuttings on a video. In the old days l followed photos in a book but watching someone do it "in real life" is better, and there tends to be a follow up so you know what to look for to see if they've "taken" and what to do next.
  • GemmaJFGemmaJF Posts: 2,283
    I think YouTube will have specific techniques for practically any plant imaginable. It will help when starting out to see exact advice.

I started out propagating fuchsias, dead easy and a good one to learn with, because if it fails at first, the parent plants are more than happy to provide more cutting material for a beginner. 
  • LatimerLatimer Latimer, BuckinghamshirePosts: 364
    @Braidman @AnniD @GemmaJF Thank you all, looks like I'm off to YouTube!  :)
  • LG_LG_ gardens in SE LondonPosts: 2,911
    Carol Klein is my propagation guru. There are lots of videos on YouTube, but I must admit I refer to her 'Grow Your Own Garden' book a LOT.
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.'
    - Cicero
  • NicJTNicJT Posts: 22
    Im exactly the same and have watched Mike Kincaid on youtube as its step by step and he gets great results and simplified it for me.  I tried Monty's method and it died so I must have done something wrong.  Tried my first Rose this morning so I'll know more in 6 weeks
  • josusa47josusa47 Posts: 3,532
    You might find it useful to look at the "Plants that root in water" thread on this forum.
  • cbennett17cbennett17 Posts: 51
    Instagram/ YouTube and advice from gardening programmes have worked brilliantly for me. This is my first year propagating and already got loads growing. 
    I would definitely recommend some 9cm pots, seed sowing compost and perlite. Rooting hormone helps but not essential. 
  • AlchemistAlchemist OxfordPosts: 221
    Second @NicJT. Mike Kincaid every time. This guy is a genius. His idea of using a plastic box in shade has made the process a doodle. No watering and messing around and it works most of the time! 
  • NicJTNicJT Posts: 22
    Wow thats good to know as the rose I did today is under a 2L plastic bottle dome lol so fingers crossed.  Thanks Alchemist