Forum home Fruit & veg

Tomato plant help

Hi! So, I've never grown a tomato before, but I rescued a tomato plant from a friend who was throwing it away. I've had it for nearly 2 weeks and it's grown over 40cm and now has 3 sets of flowers. I've been pruning off those weird mini shoots that grow between the branches and the main stem, and the flowers seem healthy. However, I've noticed that the section of the plant which had grown before I had it is a much darker colour to the rest of the plant. Some of the lower leaves also have light brown spots, although not many. The half of the plant that I grew seems completely fine - normal grean colour and healthy leaves. Is this just because it might've been stored in a dark environment before, or is this a sign of disease that'll impact the fruit?
Also, I've repotted it once, but I'm not sure how big a pot it should have now that it's got a lot bigger - the current pot has a diameter of 16cm and a depth of 21cm, so I'm guessing that it probably needs something bigger? 
Thanks for your help!

• strelitzia32strelitzia32 Posts: 262
    From the photos, that looks like a healthy tomato plant, congratulations on a good job if this is your first attempt. Can you take a photo of the whole plant? It's a little hard to see the overall state in those photos.

How tall is the plant itself? A 21cm pot is pretty deep for a windowsill tomato, so you'll be fine. It'll keep growing until you pinch out the growing tip - do that before it reaches the top of your window, or when you have 3 sets of "flower branches" (trusses), or it'll get too large. If you have a greenhouse, conservatory etc then you can let it grow further.

Do you know what variety it is? It looks like a cordon habit, so pinching out the weird growths is the right thing to do (although again if you're growing it on a windowsill you can leave 2 growths on the plant lower down, and it'll bush out for you). 

Looks like you've got other stuff on that pot - pull those out/cut them off. You may want to fill the pot up a bit more, the plant will grow more roots off the main stem if you cover it up a bit, which is fine and good. 

It also looks like some leaf branches were stripped off low down. Avoid taking branches off until your trusses have set (flowers become tomatoes).

When you get little tomatoes appearing, feed it once a week with something like Tomorite. 

I'm sure I've missed loads off but hopefully that should get you going.
  • purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 2,830
    The darker stem and leaves could be a sign that your friend let it get cold, but will do nothing to stop it growing now. Enjoy your tom.
  • From the photos, that looks like a healthy tomato plant, congratulations on a good job if this is your first attempt. Can you take a photo of the whole plant? It's a little hard to see the overall state in those photos.

How tall is the plant itself? A 21cm pot is pretty deep for a windowsill tomato, so you'll be fine. It'll keep growing until you pinch out the growing tip - do that before it reaches the top of your window, or when you have 3 sets of "flower branches" (trusses), or it'll get too large. If you have a greenhouse, conservatory etc then you can let it grow further.

Do you know what variety it is? It looks like a cordon habit, so pinching out the weird growths is the right thing to do (although again if you're growing it on a windowsill you can leave 2 growths on the plant lower down, and it'll bush out for you). 

Looks like you've got other stuff on that pot - pull those out/cut them off. You may want to fill the pot up a bit more, the plant will grow more roots off the main stem if you cover it up a bit, which is fine and good. 

It also looks like some leaf branches were stripped off low down. Avoid taking branches off until your trusses have set (flowers become tomatoes).

When you get little tomatoes appearing, feed it once a week with something like Tomorite. 

I'm sure I've missed loads off but hopefully that should get you going.
    Thank you! I have no idea what type it is, but it's about 58cm now, growing 2-4.5cm per day... I'm thinking of moving him onto a lower windowsill so that he's got more potential growing room, but I need to work out whether the dog will attack it or not first! But since he does have 3 trusses, perhaps that's unnecessary.
    I've been giving it a mug of water every day, so would the tomatorite just be added to that? I'll top the soil up and take the plants that've seeded beneat it out tomorrow. 

Thanks so much for your help! Previously I've managed to kill a cactus, so it's reassuring to know that it looks ok :D 
  • edited 22 June
    The darker stem and leaves could be a sign that your friend let it get cold, but will do nothing to stop it growing now. Enjoy your tom.
    Thank you, that's reasurring! They were left outside for collection in a storm, so that'll be it.
    Btw as its inside, to ensure pollination,  use a small , childs paint brush and lightly dust each flower to be sure of fruit, if you do this a couple of times a week you should catch most as they open and get a good crop.😁
  • Btw as its inside, to ensure pollination,  use a small , childs paint brush and lightly dust each flower to be sure of fruit, if you do this a couple of times a week you should catch most as they open and get a good crop.😁
    OK, will do! Thanks again for your help!
    You are welcome 😁
  • strelitzia32strelitzia32 Posts: 262
    I'm having a complete spatial awareness failure, I can't figure out how big that pot is! 

It looks like there's a healthy space at the top of the pot, so if you have some spare compost, put a bit more on top. The more the better, you can fill it up almost to the rim of the pot - just leave enough space to water.

Tomorite will help your plant set fruit and grow, so when you see the flowers die off, start feeding once per week.

If you're actually using a drinking mug for watering, don't use that to mix it! You'll probably grow an extra arm or something, invest in a cheap watering can or use a dedicated jug. 

Make sure that plastic string isn't too tight and doesn't rub into the plant - soft twine or string is better if you have it. If not, don't worry.

The plant still has a bit of growing to do - get it in direct sunlight and post another picture of the top third in about a week. We can tell you where to pinch out the growing tip - if you don't do this, it'll grow forever (absolutely no exaggeration) and the fruit won't set. 
  • celcius_kkwcelcius_kkw Posts: 354
    Regarding feeding a single tomato plant - I have been trying to figure out the best way to do this, as it’s incredibly hard to just make up one mugful of Tomorite - it would probably only consist of 0.05mls of Tomorite, which is impossible to measure. I’ve previously tried making half the amount (2.5 litres) and use that ‘stock’ to fertilise my few plants. The downside is that stock just sits there for a long time and turns green very quickly.. not sure if that would affect the nutrient content of the fertiliser mixture..