Forum home Plants

Venus Fly Trap Appreciation

HalleSHalleS Posts: 105
edited June 2020 in Plants
Hi all. I purchased a venus fly trap a few months ago and think it’s absolutely wonderful! Just thought I’d post a picture so any other VFT fans can share in my appreciation of this wonderfully carnivorous plant.  :)

Have a great week!

• Dirty HarryDirty Harry Posts: 1,048
    How much sunlight can they take?

• HalleSHalleS Posts: 105
    How much sunlight can they take?

They like a sunny, warm windowsill or conservatory. I keep mine on a south facing windowsill and it’s very happy. 
  • dappledshadedappledshade Posts: 1,017
    edited June 2020
    Same. Ours is in the sun all day. Give it a good spray with rainwater every day, if it’s going to be hot and in the sun though.
    I put it in the greenhouse overnight if it goes below about 15 degrees C.
    Just repotted mine and it’s sending us even more new leaf stems. I love them!
    Mine seems to like it when I fill the drip tray with rainwater and let it absorb through the roots. 
  • BijdezeeBijdezee Posts: 1,484
    I have one of these - forgotten its name.

I keep it outside in the sun with a reservoir of rain water. I will overwinter it indoors though. 

Venus fly trap often flower on really long stems. Interesting plant. 
  • purplerallimpurplerallim Posts: 5,256
    I have had a venus fly trap 10 months. In that time it has doubled in size, and had four flower stems. It gets bugs/flies when I can catch them ( must be alive) and watered rain water from below. It sits in the kitchen window which is north facing and seems to be thriving. 
    These are fascinating plants the snaps only open and close about three times, after which they photosynthes and then die. The flower stem is huge with small white flowers, and the stem never seems to die. Mine is now becoming a dome and am wondering about repotting again.🤔
    Fly trap is actually a misnomer.  These plants really eat bugs that crawl across them, the flies only come if dead bodies are in the traps and are attracted, the traps themselves only stay closed if the insect is moving inside, otherwise they reopen. 
    I put an old banana next to my plant for a few days and it caught so many bugs! My husband thinks I’m nuts...
  • I have a VFT, a sundew, and several Sarracenias which live outdoors all year. The VFT will soon be in flower, and the Sarracenias also have a few flowers. The Sarracenias catch incredible numbers of flies!

This was September last year
    And this is today

After removing the flower stems.