Forum home Fruit & veg

My courgette stem snapped

My courgette stem fully snapped in the wind right at the base! I've tried to reconnect it and have buried it under the soil, it's very wilted. What's the chance of survival? 

• strelitzia32strelitzia32 Posts: 262
    Probably zero I'm afraid, especially if you buried the join! You may have  luck uncovering the join (because of soil nasties, which are likely to be more prevalent than in compost), tying the ends together with elastic or wax, covering it with honey and hoping.

Probably better to put a new one in.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 61,384
    Sow a few more seeds direct into the ground. The soil is damp, we have warm weather coming, they’ll germinate quickly. 
    Cross your fingers and with any luck they’ll only be a couple of weeks behind the others. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• I will try my best to save it, but will put another in as a backup if/when the current dies, such a shame as it was a splendid plant
  • Sow a few more seeds direct into the ground. The soil is damp, we have warm weather coming, they’ll germinate quickly. 
    Cross your fingers and with any luck they’ll only be a couple of weeks behind the others. 
    Yes, thanks, will do
  • LaineyefjtLaineyefjt Posts: 8
    I would say to definitely chuck a couple more seeds in the ground and give up on that one.  I did and to speed things along I put a fizzy drinks bottle with the bottom cut off an took the lid off to make a mini greenhouse effect, and the seeds worked so quickly, I was amazed. But it's hot anyway, so won't take long. I had one completely eaten by slugs, so that's why I started again. 
    Thats if you've got any seeds left that is? 

• I would say to definitely chuck a couple more seeds in the ground and give up on that one.  I did and to speed things along I put a fizzy drinks bottle with the bottom cut off an took the lid off to make a mini greenhouse effect, and the seeds worked so quickly, I was amazed. But it's hot anyway, so won't take long. I had one completely eaten by slugs, so that's why I started again. 
    Thats if you've got any seeds left that is? 

Managed to pick up 3 more plants from a neighbour 
    👍 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• 👍 
    One of the new plants stem has snapped aswell! This is not economic! 
    edited 28 June
    Why are they snapping?  What’s happening to them? 

• GemmaJFGemmaJF Posts: 2,174
    Are they in pots from the neighbour? You'll get much tougher plants from direct sown seed, it's still not too late.