Forum home Problem solving

Bad soil?

I have a bit of an issue with my front garden.
It's mostly lawn, and just under my front window there is a bare rectangle, an empty bed. 
My lawn has quite a few dandelions, buttercups and daisies.

In the bare bed I do have some ground bees. So I thought I would try growing a tiny wildflower meadow for them there.
Last year all the seeds failed to germinate, this year the seeds failed to germinate. 100% failure in the bed, except.... I did scatter some into the lawn around the bed. Those grew just fine! 

So I tried wildflower plug plants, only 3 are still alive.

I've have followed all instructions to the letter! I've bought soil specific (clay) species. 
When I think about it I have realised I have never weeded that patch of garden either.
Despite weeds popping up in my lawn and in next door's garden (their lawns is more dandelions than grass).
It's as if nothing can grow there. 
I have no trouble growing anything in my back garden! 

Any idea what it could be or what I could do?

• GemmaJFGemmaJF Posts: 2,286
    It's possibly super dry by the window? Close to brick work and fences there can be a very effective rain shadow, that would be my first thought. 

Could you mulch the area, which would give the benefit of soil improvement and moisture retention.
  • EvecakeEvecake Posts: 19
    GemmaJF said:
    It's possibly super dry by the window? Close to brick work and fences there can be a very effective rain shadow, that would be my first thought. 

Could you mulch the area, which would give the benefit of soil improvement and moisture retention.
    Yes, it's quite the possibility as it's partially sheltered by the eaves. I have been watering it a lot, before planting the plugs I watered the empty soil (neighbours must have thought I was mad) a couple of times a day in preparation.
    And I've been watering every day since.

But being wary of overwatering it's possible I've not done enough.
    Thank you Gemma, I will get some mulch in!