Forum home Problem solving

Will this ever blend? New and Old Lawn 🤔

We have been in the process of renovating our garden and removed a lot of concrete and old beds on the left hand side of this photo. 

We had had the newly cleared area turfed and was assured it would blend with the old lawn within a few months. It’s been around 4 months now and there is still a colour difference.

Around 4 weeks ago I scarified the old lawn overlapping the new lawn and re seeded and top dressed in order to try and blend and bring the two sides up to the same standard and colour. It’s improved the lawn but there is still a noticeable difference and it’s driving me mad. I’m at the point of getting the whole lot ripped up and redone in one go.

is there anything else I can do? Could it be that the newer turf has topsoil underneath so it’s greener and if I feed the whole lawn they will blend? Should I keep scarifying both sides and overseeding or should I give up 🤷‍♂️

Sorry for the long post. Hopefully someone who knows about lawns can help.

thanks 

• gunndabadgunndabad Posts: 26
    Adding some fertiliser may help to even out the colour. 
  • BenCottoBenCotto RutlandPosts: 3,739
    What a stunning aspect! So envious.

Three years ago we had substantial areas of our garden returfed and, like yours mikejames, the join was visible for several months. After a year you had to have the junction pointed out to see it. Now, three years on, it has almost completely disappeared. In these two photos about 50% of what you see is old lawn, the rest new turf. Can you tell which is which?

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 20,573
    It will blend, we did the same with a big vegetable garden,  seeded it, you wouldn’t notice it now.
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor.