Forum home Plants

Plant ID please

LatimerLatimer Posts: 1,059
edited June 2020 in Plants
Hi all,

I think I bought this plant last year, planted it in a pot and kept it in a shady part of the front garden where it basically just stayed alive, didn't grow much.

This year I moved it to the back garden where it has grown to almost 2m tall and has started to flower.

I love it but have no idea what it is!! 😀 Could someone ID it please.

I’ve no idea what I’m doing. 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 87,857
    It's a teasel ...  the flowers are great for bees, butterflies and other pollinators and goldfinches love the seeds.   They were much used in the wool industry for carding the wool in earlier days.  

It's a biennial which is why it didn't grow much last year ... this year it's sending up it's flowering spike and when it's produced its seeds it'll die.  If you want to grow some more you'll have to nab one of the seedheads as soon as the seeds are ripe but before the birds get there ... or trust to luck that the birds will drop some. 
    https://plantlife.love-wildflowers.org.uk/wildflower_garden/grow_in_the_garden/wild_teasel

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• JennyJJennyJ Posts: 10,423
    I'm wondering if the teasel self-sowed into the pot with the original plant.
    Doncaster, South Yorkshire. Soil type: sandy, well-drained
  • B3B3 Posts: 27,304
    Probably. You'll find them all over the garden next year
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • LatimerLatimer Posts: 1,059
    Fantastic, thanks everyone!

JennyJ said:
    I'm wondering if the teasel self-sowed into the pot with the original plant.
    I never thought of that as a possibility but it's likely. Are teasels generally sold at garden centers? If not then it's as you suggest.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 87,857
    Our local garden centre sells them in the section for wildlife gardens, pollinators etc.  

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• LatimerLatimer Posts: 1,059
    Our local garden centre sells them in the section for wildlife gardens, pollinators etc.  
    Hmmm, so I may have bought it 🤷🏻‍♂️. Last year I was just buying random sale items 😂